frogspawn closed?

farslayer

Your lights are fine, ignore this watts per gallon nonsense. With frogspawn, you do need to keep them in lower flow; PC lighting is just fine for them. If he is closing up a lot, not as full, it may simply be as someone said that he is adjusting. Lower the flow on him if you want to experiment some. Also, make sure that no other coral could be stinging him, give him some room. If your lighting is not sufficient, you would expect him to open MORE as he would attempt to increase his surface area (anemones do this as do clams).

rbaldino

Originally Posted by Farslayer
If your lighting is not sufficient, you would expect him to open MORE as he would attempt to increase his surface area (anemones do this as do clams).
Perhaps, but if it's not getting enough light to survive, it will begin to waste away and open less and less. The fact that his was open but is now closing leads me to believe it's a matter of the coral not liking something in the tank as opposed to adjusting to its current conditions. It didn't seem to have a problem when it was first added.
You also shouldn't be too quick to dismiss the lighting. His tank is twice the size of the 12 gallon Aquapod, but only has 10 more watts of lighting. Also, where frogspawn orginally comes from isn't entirely relevant. Where has it been in the time between it was taken from the ocean (if it ever really was; could be tank raised) and was added to the tank? It could have been raised under intense lighting, or kept under much more light at the LFS than it's getting now. Just something to consider.

farslayer

I would dismiss the lighting simply because his tank is no deeper I don't believe. The frogspawn can well up to try and capture more light, then yes, it will degrade, just as an anemone will do. I think it's more of a placement issue as well.