Frogspawn, eaten?

clown52

I got a frag about 3 weeks ago with 2 heads. Everything appeared fine, good color and opening. Then a couple days ago one of the heads was cleaned out. This morning the other is gone. Who could have done such a thing?!

This is what I currently have,
Flame Angel - I know these can nip but I do not think his mouth is even capable of reaching "into" the head like this was.
Emerald Crab x2 - newest addition, one was nearby.
Fire Shrimp
Pistol Shrimp
Peppermint Shrimp x2 - One would be very close at night but I could not catch him on it.
Assorted reef Snails
Red leg, Blue leg, Left handed Hermits

I have some zoos and stoneys as well with no sign of damage, they just all get a thorough cleaning by the peppermint when they first go in the tank....

mproctor4

My frogspawn was in our tank less than 24 hours and over half of it was gone. The next night I got up with my flashlight to try and find the culprit. I found a small (size of a quarter) Gorilla crab that came as a hitch hiker on my live rock carrying the rest of the frogspawn under his rock and eating it. That was the first time I saw the crab. It killed that frogspawn. Tore the rocks apart to get him out, got another frogspawn and 6 months later it is doing great. We also have several shrimp and hermit crabs and they leave it alone. I wouldn't be too suprised if it is your Emerald crab but be on the look out for other things.

geoj

If it had some damage that you did not notice then the peppermint shrimp could have took it out. This happened to me I got a small frag that had one good head and one head that had a small rip, put it in and two hours later the pep ate the ripped head but left the other be.

clown52

I think I am going to move the 2 pepermints to the refugium and try another frag. If it stays healthy I guess I will have my answer. Not sure how long that will take though since this last one was in the tank for 2-3 weeks before getting eaten.

bw256s_srt4

frogspawns are cheap. just get one that has about 4 or 5 head on it and they wont touch it because its to big, thats what I did and have had no problems with anything touching it.

clown52

If anyones curious, a clear rubbermaid tub with some food in the bottom is a good way to catch these suckers....