Frogspawn question

Hi all, I just added a Frogspawn to my tank 4 days ago. Through the day it looks beuatiful, but at night it shrivels up. I'm just wondering if this is normal?
Thanks

kpogue

All corals (except for those that prefer the night) will close up during the dark. For lack of better terms, they are asleep.

jferrier

While your on the frogspawn subject... somedays mine extends out really nicely but 75% of the time when the lights are on its not completely closed up, but just barely extending its tentacles.
I got a branch from my roomate and his old frag extends constantly. My ammonia and nitrates are ok and my ph is around 8.4 . I have 4 p.c bulbs w/ actinic. The f.s. in an area of less than moderate water flow. I use a kent calcium reactor similar to 2 part bionic but w/ magnesium and strontium supplements. The temp. stays around 75-77. Any ideas on what might be wrong?

jferrier

Well my temp. at night runs about 75-77 and during the day
79-82. My ph tests from 8.2 to 8.4 but most of the time 8.4
I thought 8.2 to 8.4 was an acceptable range. Nothing else in my tank seems to be having any problems. I've noticed my large peppermint hanging around it alot, and sometimes appears to be picking at it. Could it be doing damage? I really don't think it's ph or temp though because the frogspawn is fully extended on days when ph is 8.4 and temp is 77.

reef fool

My corals are open comletely every day while the light is on.
One thing you may want to control is such a large temp. fluctuation. IMO, you should have a 2-3 degree change at the most from day to night. A daily change from 75 - 82 is not a good thing. It stresses things out! Just my opinion, but I have read this and heard it from others before.
Mine ranges from 80-82 daily and everthing is happy.

mlm

Try to set your heater at the hottest your tank gets that way when the lights go out the temp remains the same. I do this on my 55 and the temp is constanly 81F.