Frogspawn !!!!!!!

nebiereef12

I recently bought a frogspawn frag, it was very small.It opened up at night and looked very happy. Now a week later it doesn't look very good and it has no tenticles that i can see. I am thinking that my coral beauty maybe ate it,though i am not sure. All my fish are reef safe and my inverts. I need help please!!!!!!!!!!

meowzer

Originally Posted by nebiereef12
http:///forum/post/3010809
No, the coral is between rocks and it's so hard to get a picture

Well I don't know enough about this to be able to help from a description..sorry
I have a couple of Frogspawn, and have lost a couple of heads so I thought I MIGHT be able to help if I saw it...Maybe someone else will be able to help

meowzer

My coral beauty has not ever nipped at anything (SO FAR) I say this as I sit with all my fingers and toes crossed...LOL

spanko

Quotes:
From Fishlore;
"They primarily eat algae and will graze on the algae growing on your live rock. For those reef aquarium keepers out there, this fish may not be the best choice for your reef tank. They have been known to nip at lps corals."
Aquacon
"Reef Compatibility:Reef Aquarium Compatibility Generally safe, but may nip at corals, clams, etc."
And Wet web media
"Well, in my experience, Coral Beauties can be some of the least inclined of the Centropyge angels to munch coral, but the possibility still exists. I'd definitely avoid most LPS corals, as they seem particularly tasty to Centropyge angels! I'd recommend the more "noxious" soft corals (as Scott Michael calls 'em), such as Sinularia, Cladiella, Sarcophyton, and Lobophytum. I do successfully keep some SPS species with them as well, with good results. I stop short of fully endorsing these fish for reef tanks, however. The possibility exists, particularly in a smaller system, that these guys could "turn" at any given time and start turning your beautiful reef into a FOWLR tank! Proceed with caution here'
So you can see as with anything in this hobby you pays your money and you takes your chances...

jbird0420

Keep an eye on that Angel. It also could be placement. Frogspawn loves very little flow and strong light. I had a Potters Angel in my reef tank. Did fine for about 9 months and started picking on my Trachys. Needless to say, the angel found a new home.

florida joe

I think you should go the opposite route. Put your frog spawn in a high flow area you may be encouraging sweeper tentacles but you can deal with that later. They are also a good barometer of water quality how are your water parameters

spanko

Agree with Joe here. Mine is in an area of high flow and has settled in nicely and is growing like a weed.

You can see a sweeper or two at the bottom of it in this picture.

florida joe

I am sure my good friend Henry will agree the only major drawback from having your frog spawn in a high flow area is it’s ability with the aid of flow to reach corals in close proximity with its sweepers

spanko

Agree with Joe again here. But proper placement can help to "aim" the tentacles and sweepers away from where you don't want them to be. Gotta remember that they cannot move thier tentacles on thier own and must rely on flow to move them.

florida joe

Henry my friend you rise a very interesting point. And one that had me going to my tank to take a look to be sure. I believe Euphyllia do in fact have the ability to if not move their tentacles but inflate certain ones in response to what ever stimulus is triggering the sting mode a sort of aiming if you will.
Any thoughts on this

spanko

Yes inflate and deflate (hmmm is deflate a word?) in response to sitmulus. But I believe I have read that they do not have the abiblty to swing them against a current. Therefor placement down flow is always a good idea.

meowzer

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3012148
Yes inflate and deflate (hmmm is deflate a word?) in response to sitmulus. But I believe I have read that they do not have the abiblty to swing them against a current. Therefor placement down flow is always a good idea.
de⋅flate   /dɪˈfleɪt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [di-fleyt] Show IPA verb, -flat⋅ed, -flat⋅ing.
–verb (used with object) 1. to release the air or gas from (something inflated, as a balloon): They deflated the tires slightly to allow the truck to drive under the overpass.
2. to depress or reduce (a person or a person's ego, hopes, spirits, etc.); puncture; dash: Her rebuff thoroughly deflated me.
3. to reduce (currency, prices, etc.) from an inflated condition; to affect with deflation.
–verb (used without object) 4. to become deflated.