From a 40 to a 90

megadon

Due to the fact that there is a piece of glass missing from the corner of my tank, the silicone is holding it together. I have a 90 that was waiting to be set up, but it looks like I will have to do it sooner. My questions.
1) I would like to use new sand, would I just put the new sand in the new tank and transfer the water. Should I use any of my "old" sand that contains some CC.
2) I have enough LR for the 90, as I bought a bunch of base from a guy getting out of the hobby and have stored it in water for 9 months now. Should I expect a cycle when adding it? It doesn't smell, so I think it should still be live.
3) My new 40 +/- gallons of water, should I just add maybe 10 gallons every few days? Maybe use some water from my LR storage facility?
Anyone that went through a similar upgrade please post your lessons learned and do's and don'ts.
The tough part is the 90 is going in the same spot where the 40 is.

obtusewit

I recently did basically the same thing, going from a tall 30 to a 46 BF. This tank was mainly SPS and LPS occupying a small otherwise useless wall. Fortunately, I had the option of adding capacity to the system before making the 'big move'. If you have room you can temporarily add a sump to your 40. No doubt it is an eyesore for a few weeks, but the result is worth it. I had a Sea Systems Pre 300 wet dry, that was originally on a 300, attracting dust. It probably holds 30-35 gallons with the garbage sack full of bio balls removed. I put this bad boy in front of my existing tank and begin cycling it with 30 lbs of Gulf Views aquacultured premium CURED live rock and a bag full one of the many 'activated' aragonite sands now available. BTW this is a great rock from floridaliverock dot you know the rest. I did a 5 gal water change on my 30 and that went in as well. Every other day I transfered a gallon or so of sump water to the tank and vice versa...a mini water change so to speak. This went on for 3 weeks. I saw a small peak in NOx's in the sump at the end of week one, but nothing to write home about. At the end of week 2 NOx's were gong down and at the end of week 3 they had returned to almost 0. It originally came with two external overflows which finally came in handy. At the end of week 2 I added one of the overflows to the system and begin to let the whole thing run as a system. By the time week 3 had passed, it was time to get the towels out. I dragged out the 100 qt Igloo and a 48qt and moved everything to the 100, using the 48 for the swimming stuff. The 46 went up and moved the sand from the 30 and the sump into place, filled it 1/2 way up and placed the rock. I then transferred the rest of the water in the sump in and let the whole thing settle. The next morning it was crystal clear and all the corals and critters went back in. I subsequently moved the sump behind the new 46 on the other side of the wall (thank you Lord for a laundry room). I filled up the sump and added a bit of live rock etc and after 3 weeks plumbed this to the 46. I didn't lose a thing, everybody is happy. I only wish I would have put a heavy plastic tarp under the temp sump before filling it up to help contain the drips, runs, and errors at transfer time.
Good luck

megadon

Thanks ob, that was quite the article. I hope to get the 90 in place, slide the 40 out of the way (still full) and get the 90 going. Making the slow transition to the 90. The wife is going to pitch a fit whe n I break the news to her, then tell her she's going to lose another foot of wall space in the dining room. Better than 50 gallons of seawater on the floor though!! This will enable me to add a 30 or so gallon sump under the 90. Would it be a problem using new sand? Should I seed it with a cup or 2 of my old stuff? I can't tell her the transition will take a couple weeks yet, till I get it going, lol.

obtusewit

Obviously you will need more substrate, I recommend using your current sand on the bottom to preserve the anaerobics and using an activated sand on top. There are some very good activated sands available from Red Sea etc. You will have cycle time if you use new sterile sand, the activated stuff just cuts down the time line. The price difference is worth it. No washing, no dust, short cycle time and at approx. a buck a pound, probably the best deal going. My best advice..plan, plan, plan!

megadon

I plan to have a good plan all laid out, more than I ever had to plan for my own wedding or any party, lol. I plan on using a 30 gallon or so sump, so won't have the deep sand bed in the display.