From Cichlids to Saltwater

storm88000

Hi guys.

So, I had a 55G Cichlid tank about a month ago.

I hated it. Too much aggression and nastiness. Plus freshwater, meh. If you're going to invest all this time money and energy, get a piece of the ocean, not a piece of a river :) I hated the way the cichlids acted. One cichlid killed 3 others, then died a day later. After that, I said enough.. I gave the survivors away on Craigslist, sold the 55G tank and some other stuff.... and got myself a 90 gallon tank.

And went to saltwater. Have been cycling since last month, and here's my current setup that I've been putting together:

-100lbs of live sand
-60-65lbs of live rock
-Fluval 406 external canister filter
-SeaClone 100 Protein Skimmer
-Two powerheads
-Two 200W water heaters
-Four 21" LED light strips

Livestock:

4: Hermit Crabs
2: Turbo Snails

Corals:

1: Pulsing Xenia Frag
1: Green Carpet Mushroom
1: Mushroom Frag (forget the name)
1: Metallic Green Folded Brain

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... I of course have the API master saltwater test kit, and all numbers are good. Water is crystal clear.....

It's been a month, and I'm about to add some Blue/Green Chromis this weekend.. They are $5 each at my LFS, I think all should be good. Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself. Looking forward to talking with you all about this awesome hobby.

Thanks,

Jordan

tthemadd1

How did you cycle the tank?
Welcome and enjoy the hobby. Take it slow like it sounds you have so far.
It does not sound like you cycled the tank if you already have corals in it. Before you add the fish. Did you ghost feed the tank to cause an ammonia nitrite and nitrate spike?