frozen "brime" & "mysis" shrimp????

east tx

Hi
What's the differnce between "frozen brime shrimp" and frozen mysis shrimp??
Are they the same food or equal. Where do you get mysis??

nm reef

Frozen brine and mysis shrimp are 2 different foods.......folks say that brine has a low nutritional value(but my critters like it) and that mysis is better for feeding.....I buy both at a LFS and feed with them as well as several other types of food.......I try to vary the diet in my reef and fowlr/ls as much as possible.........personally I use frozen brine/mysis/krill/plankton.....assorted flakes from OSI...seaweed selects(red & green).....frozen formula 1&2....plus occassionally I get some fresh scallop and/or shrimp....also DT's phytoplankton about twice a week......as you can see I feed my friends fairly well...... :rolleyes:

nm reef

Well now....I wouldn't exactly call brine candy..........that may be a touch off the deep end.........but just in case brine is actually candy.....would you say its comparable to say a snickers or more along the lines of those nasty sour hard candies???????????????
By the way if its candy my guys sure do love the stuff.......

burnnspy

Snickers, if you do some searches you will find that brine shrimp contains almost no protien as compared to Mysis shrimp.
Kids like candy but that doesn't make it nutricious.
BurnNSpy

east tx

Well I need to buy some "frozen mysis shrimp"
and I can't find anyplace that carries it.
Been feeding my other critters candy too.
But have another bunch that will be needing "mysis" if anyone knows where I can get it, let me know please. I'm in east Tx.
Have a good one........

jesuit_flyer

Brine = candy and Mysis = food? Not sure how you guys are coming up with that analysis.
Here are the ingredient breakdown % of both:
Omega 3 Brand
Brine Mysis
Protein = 5.8% Protein = 3.7%
Fat = 1.3% Fat = .44%
Fiber = .5% Fiber = .3%
Moisture = 91% Moisture = 92%
They're both low in nutruition and considering one "food" and one "candy" is laughable.

fishfreek

Does anyone else soak their brine shrimp in zoe? I soak most of the foods i feed in zoe. I beleive this is the best way to assure that my fish are getting most of the vitamins they need, no matter what food i am feeding.

east tx

Hi Deblin2
I live about 40 mins. from Tyler. Is there anyway you can let me know the name of the store or location??
Thanks alot
THat will really help me out.

deblin2

It is a store called Pet Land. It is in a little shopping center on Broadway. It is across the road from Broadway Mall. If there is something special that you need they will even order it for you. I used to get that food there when I had dwraf seahorses (which I lost during a power outage). They always had it in stock at that time. If this is not allowed you can e-mail me at sgnihctik@yahoo.com and I will send you the information. Maybe if this is edited they will at least leave my e-mail address for you.

deblin2

We discussed the seahorses you were getting and I was curious about how it turned out. Do you still have them? If not how long did they live?

I feed frozen (thawed) brine and mysis along with many other things. You know what they say...variety is the spice of life! I always soak my thawed food in Zoe and/or garlic elixir preferrably overnight. The fish will ALWAYS go for the "candy" first, but do manage to clean most of it up no matter what I've served. The only thing that goes over like a lead balloon is squid. I have given up feeding that and now just share it with Mr. Mantis who lives in the refugium and eats anything and everything that comes his way!
I have a coral beauty in my FOWLR that will not eat anything. I have no idea how he is sustaining himself, but he's fat and happy looking. He will not even LOOK at my offerings of brine (live or previously frozen) or any type of algae except what little bit is naturally occuring on the walls and liverock in the tank. Any ideas about this little fella?

attml

My Local fish store sells Aqua Yums frozen Mysis Shrimp and everyone (including my Peppermint and Cleaner Shrimp) love them. Here is a an online store that ships them If you scroll down you will see them for just over $5 (if this is the same size which it should be because I spend $4.50 at my LFS it comes in 30 little cubes). Good Luck!
http://www.bio-aquatics.com/frozen3.html

jonthefb

go to www.mysis.com and see if they have a store near you that sells the stuff. i used to feed this to my seahorses, and ha dto drive three hours to get it in denver, however that all changed when i printed off this webpage and gave it to my lfs owner. they dont retail directly to the customer, but are very willing to call lfs owners and talk to them about their product. now my lfs is hooked and swears by the stuff. they feed it to bot fw and sw fish and corals. check it out, itd defintately worth the read!
good luck
jon

kpogue

My Fish Menue - Different Things on Diff Days
Chopped Squid
Chopped Shrimp
Mysis
Brine
Fresh Clam
Live Brine (once a month if lucky)
Marine Flake
Romaine Lettuce