frugal or am i just cheap...

mvogel2

is this a stupid idea...
i have an existing 4x55w PC light i'd like to use cause it's new and has 2 actintic bulbs.
however i would like to start using metal halides in my new 125 soon to be reef setup....
could i mix the two? buy 2 halide setups and keep my pc?
any thoughts?
thanks
matt

dima96

i was going to try to do the same thing over my 75 gal. 2 250 watt MH + the 4 55 watt pc i have used for actinic. this should work if the lights i have come apart like i think they will. hope this helps

mvogel2

yeah, sounds like the exact same thing i'm going to try.
well good luck i hope this works for both of us.
matt

krunk

well, itll cost you about 100$ when you replace the bulbs, if you went two VHO's, it woudl cost you about 80$, and you would get 100 more watts. just buy two workhorse 7 ballasts (30$ for one)

michaeltx

thats the setup I have on my 100 gallon and it sucks as far as coloration of the 03 bulbs. they looked really good on my 50 gallon but when I added the extra water into the mix the became so dull that they are not even worth being on.. as soon as I get a chance I will be switching to VHO.
The corals dont even glow like they just just a slight blue tint but not enough unless you really look for it. on the 50 they glowed good but not great,,
HTH a little
Mike