frustrate-need ideas soon

B

bigtankbigfish

for 2 years Ive had a pair of austrailian black clarkiis in a 46 bow reef tank. Only other tank mate is a CBS. I have such little bioload I run skimmer one day a week. Over this time I have tried to introduce a few new fish with no success at all (small sixline, small yellow tang,another clown). The female immediately attacks new fish. Luckily my boy works at my LFS and lets me (try) new species. In other words I just put the bag in the tank see if the female comes to attack right away which she does. Finallly Finally I tried a coral beauty a little larger than the female and it worked, so i thought. This was a week ago. Ive seen no harm come to any fish. The female keps her distance and the coral beauty is still in hide mode.
Wel this morning I find that my male clown has taken a beating over night. Few fin tears, body discoloration, heavy breathing. I assume the coral beauty was getting more comfortable and brave and was the attacker. I keep watching and its the female clown trying to kill her Boyfriend. I guess the female figures the competition for food or space is increasing and the smallest weakest needed to die? Any thought?
p.s. removed the male and put in 10 gallon until he heals. Gonna give back the coral beauty.
Question is when he heals and i return with just the female will she do it again? or was this just brought on by the extra fish.

deejeff442

yea those clowns can be a handfull.
personally i would take out the female and put her in the 10 gallon and return the male .in the meantime switch the tank around and get a couple fish and put them in there for a couple weeks.
once the female returns she wont have the same territory she had before and the new fish will already have thiers.
i do it with my tangs and it works everytime so far.

fishrn

I would leave him in if you take the Coral Beauty back ASAP. Maybe she will chill out. You could use a little Melafix for fin repair. I'm affraid she will get used to being on her own and really attack him when U return him to the tank. Watch her like a hawk. Remove him if she continues to attck. I would not try to add anything new.

B

bigtankbigfish

im glad i talked to you guys about this before i removed the male. I decided to remove the coral beauty, I put him in the 10 gallon. until i find him a suitable home, like my buddys 220 reef..... The male and female clowns are now by themselves like before... Im going to keep a very close eye on their interactions for the next few days.
I was just surprised that the female was the attacker I thought for sure it was the coral beauty.
Thanks for the advice. I didnt even consider the fact that separating the male and female would create more problems. Hopefully they will chill out with the whole tank to themselves again ... :(
I guess im just gonna give up on any more live stock. The black clarkiis are just too damn good looking to trade them in and keep something like a coral beauty. Even if the female is a holy terror she sure is pretty.

tscuda

Originally Posted by deejeff442
http:///forum/post/3052991
yea those clowns can be a handfull.
personally i would take out the female and put her in the 10 gallon and return the male .in the meantime switch the tank around and get a couple fish and put them in there for a couple weeks.
once the female returns she wont have the same territory she had before and the new fish will already have thiers.
i do it with my tangs and it works everytime so far.
X2 but with both Clowns in the 10 gallon.

small triggers

personally, i would put both clowns in the 10g with a few pieces of LR, re-aquascape the larger tank add some new fish. Wait a week or 2 to add the clowns back....that should do the job.

B

bigtankbigfish

I removed the coral beauty a few hours ago and put him in the 10 gallon. My friend is gonna take him later. But i was just watching the clowns in the display and still the female is being super agressive toward the male. She used to chase once in a while but now she is doing damage. My male is looking rough. Not close to death but definitely taking a beating to his fins and coloration. The male is hiding and the female is still coming to chase him. I might have to do what you guys have said and put them both in the 10 gallon for a week or so while I re-aquascape.
Im not so sure adding another fish is a good idea though. The Female seems set to be queen of the tank, which is fine, but I want the male to be there too.
DO you think its a good idea to house both the male and female together right now being that she wants to kill him in the 30 gallon. A 10 gallon would make easy pickins.
Sorry for so many questions but this fighting is new to me. These clowns have been the lone tankmates for 2 years an she never beat him up, except when he hid in my skimmer for 2 days before I found him, returned him, she beat him up for that one.