Frustrated

yimmy

I think this is stressful. I have a 95gal FOWLR tank thats been up for 4months. The only fish in their are 2 clowns, and a royal gramma. My LMB died, I couldn't find the LMB so the ammonia killed the LN buttefly, and my jawfish had finrot ever since I got him, and he just died. I just had to vent, any suggestions. All tank levels are perfect now. I plan on getting another LN buttefly, Flame Angel, Kole Tang and another blenny, what do you think, could I get more fish than that?

lion_crazz

You might be able to in the distant future, but take it slowly. Add one fish every 3 to 4 weeks and let the biological bacteria establish itself. You will have a much healthier tank this way. Why did the LMB die? Starvation? Water parameters off?

yimmy

He died from old age. He was I would say 4-5inches and 3-4 years old. The owner of my LFS who got him in as a trade in said he is pretty old so don't expect him to live the longest. He was kind of skinny but nothing close to starvation. My tanks in my room and every morning he would be in the front on the sand staring at me waiting for me to feed him. He was an awesome fish. I hope to get another blenny this weekend.

lion_crazz

Well, a blenny would be a good starting point. Get the blenny, and then let your tank be for 3 to 4 weeks. Then add your next fish and continue like that. Your tank will be more established that way.

murph

The first thing I would add to that tank is a decent compliment of scarlet hermits. If you cant find the dead fish they most certainly will and reduce it to bones in a matter of a days time. This will solve the problem of any dead fish causing another ammonia spike.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by Murph
The first thing I would add to that tank is a decent compliment of scarlet hermits. If you cant find the dead fish they most certainly will and reduce it to bones in a matter of a days time. This will solve the problem of any dead fish causing another ammonia spike.
Good idea

lion_crazz

Well then they should have found the carcass of the LMB. There is no way there should have been an ammonia spike high enough to kill your butterfly.

yimmy

I forgot to add part of him was sucked up in the overflow into my canister filter so 2 weeks later when it came time to change filter....YUCK!

saltfan

Originally Posted by Yimmy
I forgot to add part of him was sucked up in the overflow into my canister filter so 2 weeks later when it came time to change filter....YUCK!
:scared:

murph

well that explains the ammonia spike. Add a black brittle star to your cleanup crew also. If by chance something dies in a spot the hermits cant reach which is unlikely these guys will pull it out of anywhere. Excepting your canister filter.

yimmy

i have had a jawfish and might get another one so I think that may be out of the question for my tank, would be cool to have though

jdecter

I'd have to say if you just had a rush of death in your tank, maybe learn from my mistake of last week and don't buy anything for a month, Then start with the hartiest fish you plan to buy, wait another 4 weeks or so and add another, and so on.
From the research and constant questioning I've been doing what the most common information I find is no tank no matter how great the numbers are is stable for the first year, and even less before the first 6months are up. Any change, from a water change to adding sand or rock or a fish can greatly make the system fluctuate and cause death, to include a fish going sick, from age, or disease.
That does give off anything from spikes in ammonia, or depending on the species even deadly toxins your tests wont see.
I also bought NovaAqua I believe its called same makers as Amquel. It helps bring up a layer of health resistance against disease and illness to your fish, replenishes their protective secretion layer quickly and gives them a mixture of healthy vitamines. It also removes metals and other toxics in water that amquel doesn't.
It's safe for all tanks and some even use it as a stress help when they add new fish during the drip process.
Now this is all stuff I've been told so take it with a grain of knowledge but if anything else I'd say time is a friend to all fish.