Fuge for two tanks?

chewwy

So I've been out of the game for a while now, about 4 years and I have a 29 gallon and 55 gallon I'm trying to set back up. I plan on buying a 75 gallon and using this one as my main fish tank, just a simple FOWLR with some tangs and stuff. Then I want to turn my 29 gallon into a small tank like a FOWLR but I just want it to be one of the mantis shrimp only tanks and build him a cave and let him be in there. Here's my question... Can I filter both of these down into the 55 gallon and use that as a large refugium with lots of live rock and sand and a protein skimmer? Would that work and be good? And also how would I pump the water back into each tank? Two seperate water pumps. I'm scared I'm going to try this and overflow one of the tanks or something like that, I'm iffy about the two pumps and the tanks all staying the same water level. Anyone got any advice? I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks, Chris

flower

Welcome to the site... The guy I know to answer that question is called 2Quills..my plumbing expert. If you don't hear back soon from him..type "bump" if it gets to the bottom of the page to push this question to the top again so he can see it.

chewwy

Thank you. I definitely will. This site is so cool and helpful, I've been on it nonstop for like two days now haha. I can't wait to get my tanks up and going again.

al&burke

Welcome to SWF - 2Quils just bugged me about this post - here is what I said to him on Flowers sump/fuge build.
I would probably go with one big pump - tee'd off return feed feed to both tanks - i think if he went with two pumps if one of them failed there might be a problem, or not. If he had two pumps or one he would have to make sure there is extra room in his sump/fuge for both tanks draing to minimum level of overflow.
If you haven't yet you should check out Flowers build, again welcome to SWF, I hope you enjoy it and learn as much as I have, good people here.

2quills

Welcome to the site!
Your idea is doable. I personally like the idea of just using one larger pump like Al, mentioned. Split the return two ways and install a couple valves to control the flow going to each tank. What were your plans for drains?

al&burke

Chewwy send me some dimensions of your 55 gallon sump/fuge I will put some drawings together for everyone to look at.

chewwy

The 55 gallon tank is just the normal 48x13x18 i believe, the average 55 long tank. I like the idea of one big pump and splitting the returns into each tank. The 29 isn't drilled or anything so to drain it down I guess I would just buy one of the hang on overflow things that would send it down. And since I havent gotten the 75 I'm just going to buy taht one pre drilled to drain down.

chewwy

Most sites just say its 48x13x21 but I found and think the exact dimensions are 48 1/4 x 12 3/4 x 21

al&burke

Good, these are close enough, you will have to cut your glass baffles to fit, I will give you a side view for placement of baffles, of course everything wil be finalized by or sump/fuge team. Oh what are the dimension of the skimmer and pump (footprint)

2quills

I took a couple of quick measurements of two 55G tanks that I have sitting around...actual outer dimensions of the tank itself are essentially 48"L x 12.5"W x 20"T. If you want to add the critical measurements of the plastic trim then you're talking...48-1/4" x 12-3/4: x 20-3/4". Now the glass on one of my tanks is ohhh about 1/16th of an inch thicker than the glass on the other tank. But if you cut the width of your baffles at 11-3/4" wide you'll be good to go either way. That's if you use glass baffles. If you used acrylic you'd want to cut your baffles at 11-5/8" widths to allow for expansion.

chewwy

I havent decided on a skimmer yet no, but that looks great. I think I'm just going with a good coralife skimmer, they seem to be one of the best quality ones I've heard of atleast. How much live rock do I need for the fuge? Like 20 pounds live sand and 20 pounds live rock for 16 gallons?

chewwy

And thank you by the way :) I plan on starting construction next weekend on this setup, finally got a free weekend to get to work. I'm excited

J

jstdv8

may want to double check the quality issues of the super skimmer :)
Several people on here either have them and don't care for them too much or have had them and got rid of them.
I had one that worked fine for me once i got the hang of it, but its very finnicky

al&burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstdv8 http:///forum/thread/382005/fuge-for-two-tanks#post_3332428
may want to double check the quality issues of the super skimmer :)
Several people on here either have them and don't care for them too much or have had them and got rid of them.
I had one that worked fine for me once i got the hang of it, but its very finnicky
+1000 on skimmer, I have a coral life, wish I didn't

chewwy

Really? Well glad I said something then. What do you guys suggest? I used to have a... I forgot but it was the cheap one. Seaclone 100 maybe? And I figured I should probably just go get a better quality one. Money isn't too much of an issue but nothing ridiculously expensive please.

chewwy

Alright, so here comes hopefully not my stupidest question but we'll see. Is this the right acrylic I should use in my sump/fuge? Acrylic
And what do you use to cut it? My dad is a constructor so I have almost every saw/tool possible that I'm able to use. Just a standard blade on a table saw good? Also one more question... What do I use to bond the cut sheets of acrylic inside my sump?
If there is another thread explaining all this feel free to just link that here haha.
Thanks guys, Chris