Fuge help

reef_magic

i am thinking of starting a 26gal reef....would a 10gal refuge be worth while? or is 10gal almost nothing?
also, how much light does a 10 gal fuge need? am i safe with the 20w stock lighting?

S

spsaddict

any extra water volume is a plus, especially on a 26 gal tank, your corals and fish will love the extra pods.... 20w no light will be plenty... lemme know when it is set up, i got calurpa for ya, my fuge is starting to go nuts again

reef_magic

hey dusty :D
it isnt wired up to the tank yet, i just have em both seperate for now. im am still figuring out how im going to connect the two

reef_magic

im using an old entertainment center as the stand....so the cupboard under the tv set will contain the fuge
so an overflow is better than just having a gravity fed pipe?

aldog51

You can do it like mine... Above the tank. Very easy plumbing. Just a few pieces of 3/4 inch PVC and elbows and stuff. Let me know if you want me to send you a diagram of how I did it.

aldog51

Ther is no chance of a flood doing it above tank because Gravity brings the water down to the main tank and asyou can see in the pic I placed the return bulkhead low in my Fuge so only minimal water gets to my main tank in case power goes out. Being that the baffles are so high as opposed to the return bulkhead that is. I have a Rio 1400 in my main bringing water up to the Fuge.

reef_magic

thanks aldog
could u send me a diagram please? but can u help me out with a below the tank fuge?
b/c as i said, im using an old entertainment center, and the fuge has to go below the main tank, in that extra cupboard
madawi369@yahoo.com o well, i already posted this above :rolleyes: :D

reef_magic

actually, isnt an overhead refugium more beneficial?
i just read somewhere that the extra pods will only flow to the main tank with gravity? :confused:

aldog51

You can do it underneath but you risk a flood if power goes out I think an Overflow will solve that problem. I am not to sure yet.

aldog51

Yes it is better for pods and stuff to get down into the tank without getting all mashed up by a return Pump. I sent you the diagram of how I would install a below tank fuge.

reef_magic

thanks, i may need the diagram for an above tank fuge. i didnt even take into consideration that the pods would get all mashed up

reef_magic

lol, i didnt know u were gonna draw it :D
does it have to be split up like that....like a half fuge/ half sump type thing. it cant be all one big fuge?

aldog51

It can be one Big fuge but I was working off of what mine looks like. It should give you a general idea of how to do it. The above tank one you will have to use a bulk head 3/4 inch for your retur with gravity. Do the PVC fittings on the bulkhead side and tubing for the water in side. I will take up close pics of the plumbing for mine and post them in a few.

aldog51

5/8 tubing bringing water to the fuge via a submersed Rio 1400 Pump at about 300GPH Also have a ball valve to regulate flow going into the fuge.