Fuge isn't working

gmann1139

Ok, I have had chaeto in the back of my 12g Nanocube for 9 months, and have never had to trim it. The nitrates in this tank are also measurable, but haven't gotten much above 10, b/c of water changes.
What have I done wrong?

bigpapa

Originally Posted by gmann1139
http:///forum/post/2830752
Ok, I have had chaeto in the back of my 12g Nanocube for 9 months, and have never had to trim it. The nitrates in this tank are also measurable, but haven't gotten much above 10, b/c of water changes.
What have I done wrong?
Hey G, what kind of light are you using for the chaeto. I had used some in the back of my aquapod and it just wasnt getting enough of the tanks light. As well it never grew either. I moved it to my 55 sump for my 150 and had flouresent light on it-still no good. Finally I read on here somewhere that you should use a Kelvin about 6k for it so I went to the Depot and bought one of those circular silver metal looking lights with a clamp--like for a work area or even a reptile tank and got a bulb as close as I could --I think I got in the 5k range and wham--Now I have chaeto growing like crazy to the point I was going to sell some on here but well... BTW I ususally leave that light on 24/7 and shut it down for a day once a week.

gmann1139

I peeled the vinyl off and put a fixture with a Coralife Mini CF 50/50 10 watt bulb about 8" away from the glass.
The 50s are 10K and Actinic 03. The bulb is only 4 months old.
Now that I read that, 10 W of CF isn't a lot.

bigpapa

http:///forum/post/2830778
I peeled the vinyl off and put a fixture with a Coralife Mini CF 50/50 10 watt bulb about 8" away from the glass.
Right now I have that chaeto light about 4-5" above the water and what was a sandwich bag about 2 months ago is now a compartment about 20"sq packed full.

gmann1139

Ok, I moved the chaeto to my other tank's fuge, and ended up having to take some of that out a few days ago b/c it had grown too much.
I've read on here before that chaeto grows inside itself, meaning that it won't expand until it hits a certain density. Then it expands outward at that density.
Could my chaeto basically have expanded to the max size and density, and I just didn't know enough to pull some of it out?

grue

+1 on Light
Just as with all the turf scrubbers, light is the main ingredient.
I went to that big hardware store depo and got a security light.
Funny thing is they are selling a 65w Flourex 6500k bulb for 45.00
I opted for the 100w version and Have been throwing cheto in the garbage monthly.
Currently redoing my sump will do a W/U later.
LIGHT LIGHT LIGHT
Grue

rotarymagic

http:///forum/post/2830778
yep... way too little light and too far away... fix both things and you'll have that fuge going in no time.

gmann1139

Alright, I used to have a 40w quartz halogen on there (cheap from HD), but it was transferring a lot of heat to the tank. I just put that back on there, we'll see how that works.

rotarymagic

http:///forum/post/2840624
Alright, I used to have a 40w quartz halogen on there (cheap from HD), but it was transferring a lot of heat to the tank. I just put that back on there, we'll see how that works.
use it on a reverse light schedule from the display tank lights.. so when the tank lights are on, this thing is off and vice versa. You may also have to ditch a heater if you're using one to offset the heat.

gmann1139

Yup, already had the last light on the reverse schedule.
I'm in the NE, so ditching the heater isn't an option, especially for the next six months.