Fuge lights on at night

ajwaters

Hey stopped by the LFS. While we were talkin he suggested that I should have the lights to the fuge on at night. I have my sump running but still need to do the finishing touches on it ex:the lights over the fuge, skimmer ect.....
he said the when the lights go off that the ph drops so if you have the lights on the fuge when the lights are off the display it will keep the PH more balanced.
This may be a well know idea .
I was curious on how many reefers did this.
It seems to make since, more for the temp keeping levels controled then just the fact of lights being on.
My only prob is that the tankis in my room and not sure how much light it would let out. I was going to keep that side of the cabnit opened to help let heat out, even though i don't plan on putting a lot of light down there but with the wood and the heat
anyways enough of babbling.

nas19320

The idea has to do with macros in the refuge and doing a reverse photoperiod with the display tank to help stabalize pH.

msd2

I run my on the reverse cycle. 12am-9am. I live in a flat so if it let out a lot of light it would be a major issue but a simple solution was to go to home depot and out the plastic self adhesive door sweeps around the inside of the doors that open forward in my stand. It helped a great deal to block out light for my setup. I do get light from the rear of the tank but its more of a low glow and doesnt really bother me. I probably run lower wattage than many of the others on the fuge for this reason and the heat concerns. I have one of the compacts from hd on it - 18wts. Its enough to sustain and slowly grow the cheato I have since its just there to do small amounts of nutrient export.

ajwaters

alright they are on when the other lights aren't in your doin it 24/7 or alternating between the two. Iwill probably just keep them on at night when the others go off. hopefully i will be able to work on that this weekend.
thanks for the advise and all the info all.