Fuge location

ilyakarp

I have a 425xl and planning to start a refugium. The place for refugium will be just after filter socks and before the skimmer.After the skimmer the water flows to the return chamber via sponge. My question: How will the pods enter the tank if there is a sponge on the way?

beaslbob

you're correct that the sponge will filter out the pods. Hopefully some eggs might get through.

At anyrate the pump would probably chop them up anyway.

I would just use a net and manually transfer them to the display

my .02

lmforbis

pods will be filtered out by filter socks, for that reason i don’t use them.
pods are pretty small and have no problem getting through the return pump. I’d nix the sponge. It doesn’t really serve a purpose and it is a place for crud to collect.

H2OMG

A very course sponge should be fine to defuse any micro bubbles at the return pump. Pods should be able to pass with no problem. Occasionally transfering a loose piece of live rock (not in substrate) from fuge to display should help move things along. I have usually kept a hunk of rock with macro algae in the sump, then let fish and verts clean it in the tank. Pods scurry off into the display. Hope that makes sense lol.

ilyakarp

A very course sponge should be fine to defuse any micro bubbles at the return pump. Pods should be able to pass with no problem. Occasionally transfering a loose piece of live rock (not in substrate) from fuge to display should help move things along. I have usually kept a hunk of rock with macro algae in the sump, then let fish and verts clean it in the tank. Pods scurry off into the display. Hope that makes sense lol.
makes a lot of sense. Do you ever take macro from sump and shake it inside the DT?

ilyakarp

pods will be filtered out by filter socks, for that reason i don’t use them.
pods are pretty small and have no problem getting through the return pump. I’d nix the sponge. It doesn’t really serve a purpose and it is a place for crud to collect.
The sponge is there to prevent micro bubbles from skimmer to enter the DT.