Fuge owners......

josh

what type of light are you using over it? I was thinking of just a 13 watt pc lamps.
Sound ok?

P

pirate_bob

i have a 30 gallon fuge w/ 125 watts of agro light from home depot.... started up about two weeks ago... caelurpa is bright green and growing and algae is taking off in the fuge... will post pics on site in about a week when i get to borrow the digi cam

cc0905

29 gl sump/fuge with 2 18w combo's and a 75w gro-lite I stole from my wife's plant stand, grape caulerpa is growing like crazy HTH

pbuck

I guess we cannot judge which lighting scheme is better than any, that is to say if there are any better ones out there. That said I have 5 gal fuge with 65w pc. Needless to say I have great algae growth. But I am wondering if there are limiting factors on algae growth? Would it be watts of light, bioload, room in the refugium itself, or water current? I would like to know from all of you what size refugium, how many watts of light above the refugium, gph water flow, and finally how big of a bio-load do you have (don't get too detailed just sum the 3 groups of animals up). I think these combined will help anyone interested to figure out a good formula for designing a refugium.

rickycobra

I have a seven gallon fuge, and I run a 15 watt no strip light. Iwas under the impression that it does not take much light togrow calpura, ricky

N

naclh2o

I also use a plant light....home depot. Works great, but of course the macros growth rate depends on the fertilizer it gets also....AKA nitrates, phosphates, etc.:)

P

pirate_bob

on my fuge the only current i have in there right now is the current from the overflow coming in ( its burried under some LR to space it out) and then going through the bulkhead.... In my tank I only have various hitchhikers. I am putting it through a cycle.... the reason for so many nitrates to help build the caelurp in my tank is do to using sand from an old tank to cycle my new tank by sturring up the bottom on the new tank..
Hope this answers your questions anymore please post.

ekclark

I have one of the cpr hang on refuges with a 13 watt pc clip on light. It works fine for me...getting lots of macro growth, pods everywhere, and something new to look at. I did change from the 200 gph rio pump it came with, piece of noisy junk that broke, to a fluval 4 (280 gph).

fshhub

Originally posted by jamesurq
I have a 7 gal fuge with the LOA 65W PC and probably about 50-75 GPH or so - hard to judge.
Bioload in the main tank is BIG.
Only had the light for a few days before that I was using a cheezy strip light that died.
HTH>

3 months in the hobby, and you already have a huge bioload, personally i(based upon experience) would only have a few fish now, maybe 3 at most.
HO DO YOU DO IT? I hope for your sake, things go well, being as your tank is not nearly old enough to even have developed the problems that will come. And you are already pushing the limits

josh

Just got off work....thanks everyone for the replies! I will post some pics when I get things up and going
:)