Fuge required for Reef??

boomper

I am currently upgrading my 29g FOWLR to a reef and I was wondering if it is necessary to have a fuge to be successful. I will probably end up adding a fuge at some point anyway, but I wanted to know if it is better to just do it from the start. Also, what is involved with building your own, since I do have access to materials and machines.

scubasteve

What fish do you have? Are they reef safe? I'd worry about a lot of other things before the fuge (lighting and circulation), but plumbing would be the only real consideration when trying to decide when to add it. If you're using the same tank, and drilling holes aren't an option, it wouldn't really matter when you add it. Obviously the sooner you add it, the sooner you reap the benefits it provides.

boomper

Right now I only have 2 tomato clowns and a firefish. I will add fish at the very end, since I am spending the bulk of my expenses on equipment right now. I am currently looking into MH lighting, but I figured I should ask about the fuge as well. Can't you get some that hang half in the tank and half on the back?

scubasteve

I've never seen one that does both. I know they have in-tank, and hang ons seperately. Just out of curiousity why would you want one that is connected like that?

h2oengr

I'd seriously consider PCs instead of the MHs. You don't have to worry about a chiller then. I'm beginning to have really good luck with mine. I've got candy cane coral for crying out loud!