Fuge results!

quack

My system produced about a gallon of skimmate/week and did so for years (euroreef cs-12). I added my fuge about a month ago( big ugly rubbermaid tub with a 3 to 4" sand bed), I added grape caluerpa which is growing like mad! Spaghetti macro . . . grows pretty good . . . tangs like it. And red gracilaria . . . is growing the slowest if at all . . . a little has died . . . but the tangs (yellow, b hippo, purple, and one naso) absolutely LUV it!
I know this is not scientific . . . BUT . . . i havent produced a gallon of skimmate for the past 5 weeks!!! Maybe im feeding less since im always messing with the fuge! I hope to get the red stuff to grow better. Got to experiment a little with that.
:jumping:

M

marley

what is the lighting schedule in your refugium? 24 hrs?

quack

Yup . . . 24/7
250 Metal Halide 10K . . . yea i know . . . . it's overkill but i had the extra light. It 2 or more feet above the fuge. I've got a bunch of assorted frags in a tray in the fuge too!

newfishliny

Originally posted by Quack
My system produced about a gallon of skimmate/week and did so for years (euroreef cs-12). I added my fuge about a month ago( big ugly rubbermaid tub with a 3 to 4" sand bed), I added grape caluerpa which is growing like mad! Spaghetti macro . . . grows pretty good . . . tangs like it. And red gracilaria . . . is growing the slowest if at all . . . a little has died . . . but the tangs (yellow, b hippo, purple, and one naso) absolutely LUV it!
I know this is not scientific . . . BUT . . . i havent produced a gallon of skimmate for the past 5 weeks!!! Maybe im feeding less since im always messing with the fuge! I hope to get the red stuff to grow better. Got to experiment a little with that.
:jumping:

BY THE WAY WHERE DID YOU BUY YOUR STUFF FOR THE FUGE,
CANT REALLY FIND ANY IN LOCAL STORES IN NEW YORK.MY FUGE IS 24LONG 15 WIDE 20 HIGH ITS A COMMERICAL FOOD BIN FROM US PLACTICS, ONE OF MY OVER FLOWS FIRST GOES INTO IT , ITS LOCATED ON THE FLOOR BEHIND MY TANK , IT HOLDS ABOUT 20 TO 24 GALS, 4 GALS OF MUD AND SAND, LIVE ROCK , NEED TO PUT IN SOME LIVE GOODS AND STUFF , SEND ME A PIC OF YOUR SYSTEM IF YOU CAN , THANKS FROM FLORIDA PS. I WAS JUST IN SOUTH BEACH FOR A WEEK A GREATTTTTT PLACE
NEW FISH

quack

SWF (hosting this forum) doesnt offer much in the way of macroalgea. Here's a educational link about macros. From there u can search out suppliers. I see some ppl buying off ---- but im not a big fan of em!
http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/macroalgaecare/
Your setup sounds fine. Grape caluerpa grows very easily and is good for nutrient export (ie throw-away/give away/sell) as u want to keep it out of ur tank. Chaetomorph(spaghetti) and gracilaria are good too and surgeon fish(tangs) luv it!! If u need more specific links send me a pm or email.

newfishliny

:thinking:

THANKS FOR THE REPLY ,BUT I feel there is NO conflect of interest if swf does not sell these products at all, BUT if swf sold more live product for all of us we would'nt have to GO ANYWHERE there wish list is always in black for corals and they sell the basic's if thatYOU CANT SUPPORT IF THEY DONT SUPPORT US
BUSINESS IS BUSINESS
THANKS FOR THE INFO

quack

Agreed Dude! Like I said email me and ill plug u in. I cant email u . . . u have ur email private