Fuge/Sump set-up

rnk9394

Is there any general ideas on how big your sump/fuge in relation to your main tank.
I'm buying a new tank and want to setup a sump/fuge, just not sure what size. Also not sure about what size of main tank I'm buying. Hence the question.
Thanks

robvia

In general people like to be about half the main tank. Your minimum size can very greatly depending on what's in your tank. I have a 90 gallon with a 10 gallon sump and 15 gallon fuge. Lots of people put 55 a gallon sump/fuge on a 90 display. The more fish you have and bigger fuge you need to grow the algae.

squidd

The answer can be as simple as "something is better than nothing,"...and "Bigger is Better"...
But the technical aspect (more of an "art" than a science really) is that you need to consider the sump and fuge volume's separately...
The determining factors for sump volume are skimmer size, physical size as well as flow..and return flow planned for the tank..you can only flow so much water through a small sump without creating bubble problems, and may need to go larger to contain the flow...
For the fuge...Bigger is Better and if your main goal is mal nutrient export through Macro Algae growth and harvesting, then I usually recommend 1/2 main tank size for fuge (or bigger) for tanks under 100 gallons...and then 1/3 as you go larger (up to 180) and then 1/4 as you go larger yet...
Remember also that "floor space" or "foot print" is more important in layout than just a deep tank with "gallonage"...

robvia

Squidd is very right. Make sure when the pumps shut off and all the draining is done, you don't overflow any tanks. It's a system setup, with many things to consider.

sharky71

I have an 80 gallon tank and I want to put a sump underneath. I think I could fit a 20 or 29 gallon tank under the stand. Would I be able to run a Mag 5 pump for the return or would I need a bigger sump for that?

squidd

In this "particular" layout, a 20 gallon would be plenty big...
Should have aqadqate room for the oveflow "drain" chamber, skimmer chamber, a couple baffles for flow/bubble control and return pump chamber...
The Mag 5 will probably only be pushing 250-300 gph after head so flow won't be too fast...
For an 80 I'd recomend a bigger pump (up to the size of the overflow's ability to return)
The "fuge" area, if you choose to run, one would be figured "seperate"...