Full moon = mushroom spawning??

ifirefight

A guy I met says once or twice a year,during a "certain" full moon...(not sure which one) he say the mushrooms spew there "seed" into the water to reproduce. He said the water gets cloudy from so much "stuff" floating around.
I dont know if this is true...but is it a full moon tonight.

chadman

would be cool...but i can't see how coral which is in your tank, which is in your house would know what is going on outside with the moon...

ifirefight

Originally Posted by chadman
would be cool...but i can't see how coral which is in your tank, which is in your house would know what is going on outside with the moon...
Yeah,thats what Im thinking....but, weirder things have happened... :thinking:

ophiura

I think there are several factors. Not so much the full moon, but the tides - which are related to that of course. Also a consistent pattern in temperature variations resulting in a "seasonality."

viper_930

Many corals simultaneously release masses of gametes into the water on que in the wild. IMO one reason why this rarely happens in our captive tanks is because the corals don't recieve enough nitrogen.

clown316

actually..... this does happen... but only in the wild... once a year... i think sometime in august... and all of the corals release spawn at the same time... its pretty neat... if you would like to see what it looks like... i suggest watching the video called IMAX deep sea... fascinating movie btw... i would recommend it to any reef or saltwater fish enthusiast!!

murph

Don't know about the coral thing but mysis swarm in my tank at night on what appears to be some type of time frame. What that time frame is I could not begin to tell you.
Some nights I can not spot the first one and other nights they are everywhere. Could just be hatching in large numbers, getting eaten, repeat process. I would assume this is the reason some folks with large systems can get away with almost no supplemental feedings. I believe I remember reading a tank of the month type article where a large system was listed as "not fed in more than a year" under the feeding category. This was a tank with a fair amount of fish in it too.

reefreak29

Originally Posted by ViPeR_930
Many corals simultaneously release masses of gametes into the water on que in the wild. IMO one reason why this rarely happens in our captive tanks is because the corals don't recieve enough nitrogen.
can u explain how we can get the amount of nitrogen in are tank that the ocean has in the form of organic nitrogen. i presume thats what your talking about , i thout nitrogen was something we didnt want in the form of amm, trate and trite. im just curious

viper_930

I believe the main source of nitrogen would come from zooplankton. In the ocean pods form swarms of hundreds of thousands to millions per cubic meter. To match that, we would have to stick a pound or more of food into our tanks every night. One reason why sun corals in particular spawn quite often in captivity is because they get fed a lot of meaty foods. Other photosynthetic corals can get sugars from photosynthesis, but that's essentially just carbon.

reefreak29

would u say that we cant duplicate that in are home tanks due to pressure limitations(hope thats not a stupid question

viper_930

I think it's possible. The hardest part would be keeping water quality up with that much feeding. I've heard of a few corals that have spawned in captivity without gorging them with food, including one SPS, and there's probably lots more that I don't know of.

ejensen

I watch the I Max movie about the ocean and they said that the corals spawn 8 days after a full moon.