Fumigation

H

hurley

Has anyone fumagated their whole entire property? I will be fumigating this year and was wondering what precautions anyone took as far as their tanks?

michaeltx

there are some people that have try doing a search on it and they will turn up.
I personally havent
the main thing you have to is make sure none of the spray gets into the tank or equipment/
but the post should be able to help ya out.
Mike

olsenjb

I used to work in pest control for roughly 4 years. When you say "fumigate", do you actually mean putting a tent over the house and releasing a pesticide gas into the air? Or, perhaps closing off a room and releasing a pesticide gas just in that room? Or, do you simply mean someone is going to come in and spray around your home with a liquid along baseboards, and around the foundation outside? For that matter, what are you trying to kill? Perhaps I might offer some insight.
If you are talking about spraying a liquid along baseboards and outside, then your tank should be fine if the chemical is applied properly.
If you are talking about a gas being released in the room, then I think you may have problems. Somehow you would have to seal off your tank such that no pesticide containing air could get into your tank. As you can imagine, not an easy task.

jarvis

I am going to have to bug bomb in the near future. I was thinking of tapeing down the glass tops. lots of duct tape to seal up the sump. Seal up the top of the skimmer and run the tube that goes to the venturi out side for fresh air. I think I will be bitting my nails the whole time.

H

hurley

The whole house will be tented. So yes all my tanks will have to be covered. I did do a search but most replys were for bug bombs and I was more concerned about the tent method. Olsenjb they will be fumigating for termites.

olsenjb

Ahhh...drywood termites I presume. Sorry to hear that. Living in Utah, we deal predominately with subterranean termites. I would say jarvis has about the best idea...lots and lots of duct tape in an attempt to seal it off. My only fear there is the length of time the tent remains over your house. Oxygen would be cut off to your tank for that entire time.

H

hurley

yep! on two of my tanks they have glass tops and i can try to seal them. My other tank has a canopy and a fuge. how long do they leave the tent on for?

olsenjb

Generally, it takes 24-48 hours...the theory being that the fog needs time to penetrate into all wall voids and areas where the termites may have burrowed/chewed. Then, the tent is pulled off and the fog can be vented from the home. Your pest control company didn't give you any indication as to how long the tent would be on it? Check out this link:
http://www.dowagro.com/ppm/vikane/questions.htm
Hope this gives you some insight...assuming your company will be using Vikane. Even if they aren't, the treatment is generally the same.

olsenjb

Although they are relatively new on the scene, there are alternatives to the tenting. Many companies are beginning to offer wood injection treatments to control colonies. These treatments don't require evacuation of the home, and your fish would certainly be safe. The chemicals are injected directly into wall voids reducing the chance of exposure to you or your pets. One such chemical is Termidor...supposedly works pretty well, but like I mentioned, I haven't had a lot of personal experience with drywood termites. But, a treatment like that would be much less intrusive. Check out this link:
http://basf.termidoronline.com/

H

hurley

Thankyou very much olsenjb. Their are several certified vendors from the sight you reccomended. I guess I will give them a call.