Fuzz on Coral

hottie

I have had my reef tank setup for about 8 months now - I have life rock, 2 anemone fish, one chalk basslet and one turfmower blenny. On the live rock, I have some mushroom coral and some beautiful soft black coral. Lately I have noticed that there seems to be some sort of grayish-slimish stuff on the rock and on the coral. There are slimy strings coming up from it with what look like small air bubbles attached to it. I thought it might be a piece of my hair that somehow got into the tank, but when I go to pull it out, it breaks and feels slimy. Can anyone identify this and tell me how to get rid of it? It appears to be spreading . . .

rykna

Sounds like chemical war is going on in your tank. what kind of coral do you have and how close is everybody???

hottie

Everybody is not too close - I have 35gal hex tank with an overflow filter on the back. I've noticed this growing for some time, but did not think it was this aggressive. I currently have mushroom corals on one rock and the other rock has a multitude of corals and mushrooms on it, including the black coral that is so beautiful. I first noticed that the stuff would grow on the black coral (which is how I noticed it growing at all because it was so easy to see against the black).

hottie

I've changed the filter repeatedly about every 2 weeks for the last 6 weeks thinking I would filter out whatever it is, but that is not the case.