fuzzy dwarf not eating anymore

kittykitty

I've had my fuzzy dwarf lion for about 8 months now, and he's eaten krill, brine shrimp, and mussel his entire life, no problem. I recently tried giving him some dried krill (the kind that is sold in a can) and he ate it for about a week, but now I can't get him to eat anything! I even threw some guppies in there out of desperation and he kinda looked at them, followed a few around, but never ate any. Now he just hangs out by the heater.. barely moves. Do you think something was wrong with the dried krill that i bought? My water condition is perfect, just tested it. He's in a 55 gal FO tank with a hippo tang, a clarkii clown, and a velvet damsel...
Help!

fishguy4

try adding a few small peppermint shimp in the tank. thats how i got mine to start eating. good luck!!!

alright heres what i would do,try live grass shrimp,ghost shrimp,crustaceans like fiddler crabs,and most dwarfs are reluctant to eat anything besides live food, but i guess you said you got it to eat dried krill,i will inform you that some dwarf lions tend to fast for a few weeks, wich might be what it is doing, or ur fish could have gotten a tape worm inside of it from the caned krill,which stops the fish from eating and then the fish will die, make sure that krill is in the fridge or freezer otherwise ---- can happen like that, hopefully thats not the case, sry bout ur fish man.
Jake anyother questions IM me LAZY EAST911

wrigley11

No dried krill - most lions will not touch that stuff - would you.
Okay I've had a fuzzy for years & some times mine wont eat from time to time also. Here is usually what I feed mind.
Squid - any of the types available in the lfs.
VHP - it's stands for Very High Protein - Not sure about the brand

wrigley11

Forgot - make sure to let the food sit on the counter before feeding. If the food is frozen, alot of lions will not touch it.
Hope everything works out for the best.

kittykitty

He's starting to lost his red coloration... .now he just sits at the bottom on the sand, sideways, and his mouth is gaping open.. he's breathing really hard. Could this be because he is starving himself or do you think there is something else? Please help.. he is my favorite fish, and this whole ordeal is really depressing me! I have not tried the garlic.. I'm going to try that next.

try blood worms, they smell very bad but lions will eat them, DO NOT touch with hands, wear rubber gloves, u can get very sick or even die

squidd

Originally posted by KittyKitty
He's starting to lost his red coloration... .now he just sits at the bottom on the sand, sideways, and his mouth is gaping open.. he's breathing really hard. Could this be because he is starving himself or do you think there is something else?

Now is the time to retest and post your water parameters and history...
What exactly is Ammonia,nitrIte,nitrAte readings...
You say the Lions been in the tank for 8 months...when and who was the latest addition...
Lost coloration, gasping, laying on bottom, and not eating indicate some other problem...
Are there any other "signs/clues" on the Lion...What about the other fish in the tank...breathing,color,eyes,etc...?
My Lion will not eat anything with Garlic.
:cool:

kittykitty

ammonia, nitrates and nitrates are at 0 ppm
ph is at 8.3
he was the last addition to the tank. all of my other fish are doing just fine... it doesn't make any sense

squidd

:( Wish I had an answer for you...
Only once did my PV Lion quit eating...for about two weeks...but he didn't have any of the other "signs" you mentioned (lost color,breathing hard,laying on bottom)Had me worried as well, then he just started eating again like nothing ever happened...
Hope yours does as well...How long has it been since he quit eating?
Has he started again? May be he's just "constipated" from the "dried" krill...:D
:cool:

kittykitty

it's been about 3 weeks now, and he doesn't even want to think about eating.
ah well, ---- happens. i guess i'll just find another one sometime in the future.
i'm thinking about euthanizing him, because i know he is suffering, and his condition is only worsening. anyone know painless, quick ways of euthanizing a fish?