Fuzzy Foaming Shrimp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

djminus1

Yo....
I am a week into cycling my tank with raw shrimp. First of all, I understand that this is the "ethical" method of cycling, but it is nasty. Is is normal that my shrimp are dissolving into "pus-like" globs? There's almost nothing left of them!
Since my shrimp are becoming seafood pudding in less than a week, do I need to add more during the cycle? Please say no. I may vomit.
By the way, I started with two shrimp in my 90 gallon.
:nope:

fromoe

sounds normal. if your ammonia has started its decline or is really high, imo, no more shrimp would be necessary.

djminus1

Well the shrimp are completely dissolved today. I did test for Ammonia, Nitrate, and Nitrite.
Ammonia - 0 mg/l
Nitrite - 0 mg/l
Nitrate - 12.5 mg/l
Does this mean my tank is cycling fast? It has only been a week and I am showing nitrate readings. I know that I have to wait until all readings are zero, but isn't this pretty fast progress?
I will have my LFS check my water to double check once my readings are zero.

55galgill

djminus i would wait a week more just for the sake of feeling safe. then test and im sure youll be good to go. i now play it kinda safe in hobby since i have make so0o0o0 many mistakes lol

djminus1

Yeah...I plan on waiting anyway. I was just expecting to wait 6 weeks! Next week I will check the levels again and if everything looks cool, I will probably start adding the cleanup crew to take care of the shrimp mess.

squidd

Two shrimp...30lbs LR and 90 gallons of "New" water....:thinking:
Definetly give it another week...I think you will see you ammonia and nitrIte levels rising shortly...

shep77

djminus1, I was in the same boat. I have a new 75 and put in 30lbs LS (seeded with 100lbs) and 40lbs LR (seeded with 70lbs base rock). I put my shrimp in and withing a couple of days my ammonia was off the charts. A week and the ammonia was already down to a readable level. 2 weeks will be this weekend. Tested last night and ammonia was almost 0! I too though it happened too quickly and am very apprehensive to progress any further.
BTW no vomiting!
:eek: