fw parrot turning white?

bill109

hey i have a fw tank and my parrot ids starting to turn white on his belly i have never seen a full grown parrot but is this good./natural

sepulatian

Originally Posted by bill109
hey i have a fw tank and my parrot ids starting to turn white on his belly i have never seen a full grown parrot but is this good./natural
hmmmm, well what do you mean by turning white? is it slimy? anything look weird on his fins? Is he just fading color? Alot of stores sell "painted" parrots that were painted red as blood red parrots. Do you have a picture?

nw2sltfsh

Adult Blood Parrots do not normally keep that deep purple/red color that they have when young. Most Parrots will turn a very Pale Peach/orange color (although that greatly depends on what type of hybrid you have and what fish is dominant in the breeding)
Of all the Parrots I have owned over many many years I have only had one that was white - but it was white to start with
The fading of the color like stated above can very possibly be due to the fish being a Jelly Bean Parrot (tattoed or Dyed for the desired coloration)
How big is your Parrot now? Please keep in mind that fading due to growth normally occurs when the fish is approximatley 5 inches long

bill109

Originally Posted by NW2SLTFSH
Adult Blood Parrots do not normally keep that deep purple/red color that they have when young. Most Parrots will turn a very Pale Peach/orange color (although that greatly depends on what type of hybrid you have and what fish is dominant in the breeding)
Of all the Parrots I have owned over many many years I have only had one that was white - but it was white to start with
The fading of the color like stated above can very possibly be due to the fish being a Jelly Bean Parrot (tattoed or Dyed for the desired coloration)
How big is your Parrot now? Please keep in mind that fading due to growth normally occurs when the fish is approximatley 5 inches long
no he is a real blodd parrot not painted and its not ick or nethin but a slighylt white orange color on his belly (just a litlle bit) but he lokks VERY healthy so i think its fine but i just wanted some advice.
he is a bright orange and is only lik3 2 inches i am feedig him a german food, a color enhancer the lfs said that the love that

bill109

by the way tommorrow i am buying a 30 gal and am wondering if i can buy another parrotfish? not th day but when i get it up .. how long should i let the tank sit b4 transferring fish form one tank to the next?
can i use the 20 gal of water i got now and put it into the new one?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by bill109
by the way tommorrow i am buying a 30 gal and am wondering if i can buy another parrotfish? not th day but when i get it up .. how long should i let the tank sit b4 transferring fish form one tank to the next?
can i use the 20 gal of water i got now and put it into the new one?
Have you tested your 20? Make sure your water parameters are good. If all is good you can certainly use the water from there to set up the 30. It will speed up the cycle if you use the same substrate and filters as well. I would not do all of this in one day though. I would give the new tank at least a week to become stable. How is your other Parrot? does he chase any of your other fish. It is hard to tell if a new parrot would do well with the one you already have because, from my own experience with them, each one seems to have a different personality. I would ask your lfs if they would take the new parrot back if there is a problem with them getting along. You can house two in a thirty, they question is will your existing parrot allow another. I also agree with the above stated that they all turn a peach color in time.