FYI: Electricity questions answered!

pfitz44

There seems to be a lot of confusion with stray/loose voltage, grounding probes, GFCI, and all other electrical equipment. I’m hoping this helps. Lets go over the basics:
**Disclaimer: Not Responsible for any bodily harm. Electricity is very dangerous. Please use caution! **

Voltage- Most houses have a 120/240VAC Service. Your Circuit Breaker (Fuse) Box will then distribute the electricity through your house via circuit breakers (fuses).
Stray Voltage-Voltage that is in your tank. More thank likely faulty equipment is to blame.
Amps-This is the movement of electricity. These are what can kill you. Always travels from high voltage to low voltage
Drip loop-A Loop of wire that is left below the plug to prevent water from entering the plug
GFCI/GFCB
- Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter or Ground Fault Circuit Breaker-Type of circuit breaker that will trip when there is an imbalance of current from the hot leg and the neutral leg
Grounding Probe
- A probe that goes into your tank, and is either fastened to your electrical outlet via the small screw in the middle, or can be a plug with two plastic prongs and one metal (Bottom, round prong). This is to provide a path to ground for any stray voltage in your tank.
Cardinal Rules:

1) If a grounding probe is used, a GFCI MUST BE INSTALLED. NO IFS, ANDS or BUTS!!!
2) Drip loops must be in place to prevent fires.
3) Electricity can kill. Use extreme caution when working on aquariums
Testing for Stray Voltage:

To test for stray voltage, you must ask one question: Do I have a grounding probe installed??
If you answer yes, then take a voltmeter, stick the red probe into the tank so it is touching the water, and the black probe into either the bottom hole on a plug, or the screw on the middle of the plate. This will show the voltage that your fish and other inhabitants are exposed to in your tank.
If you answered no, then take a voltmeter, and stick BOTH probes into the water. Move the red probe around SLOWLY, and see if there is any voltage present. Again, if there is voltage, then your fish are exposed to this voltage constantly.
If voltage should appear for either of these tests, then the source must be found. One by one, unplug each piece of equipment, and take another reading. If the voltage goes to zero, then you have found your piece of equipment that is faulty. Replace, and you will be fine!
The reason for the two different test is quite simple. It is known as “Step-Potential Voltage”. Think of it this way: Your car hits a Utility pole on the side of the road, and electric wires fall. What’s the best thing to do? Stay in the car! But if you must get out, you must place both feel close to the ground at the same time, and shuffle with small steps away. This is done so you will not be exposing yourself to a great voltage difference, which will prevent current from flowing threw your body. Think of your faulty equipment piece as the down wire.
GFCI/Grounding Probe

When a Grounding probe is used, a GFCI must be installed. This is to prevent unnecessary voltage to be exposed to the inhabitants. With a grounding probe, there is a path to ground for any current to go to. With the GFCI in place, at the sign of this current imbalance on the outlet, the GFCI will trip, telling you there is a problem with some piece of equipment.
If there are any other questions, please feel free to ask. I will do my best to answer them.
~Fitzy

pfitz44

The plug?? Yes. Just turn off power to the plug before working on it. Also, use a voltmeter to insure that the plug is infact dead!
Take the plug out, and replace that plug with the GFCI.
It will cost roughly $10-$30

grmreapr

also just fyi you can also get a gfci breaker for the fuse box if your fish tank is on a dedicated circuit or if you feel necassery you can put it on one.

mbootag

Great Post and you even covered step potiental I am impressed.....Maybe we need to cover Thermal Arc Blast since that is the hotest topic now a days. Just kidding but a really good post.

coachklm

be sure to make sure your house is common colored wired......learned the hard way that my green wasnt the ground after assuming it was ****sparks flew woohoo*** :hilarious

pfitz44

Thanks...
Mbootag--did that for a power station up here in MA.. good old NFPA 70E!
Coach-How old is the house? If its fairlt, im surrpise the inpsector let that go...

pchromis

Question: If you did have stray voltage reading in your tank and installed a ground probe, would it then read 0 voltage or read the voltage but be safe providing a GFCI was installed?

pfitz44

If there was stray voltage present in the tank, a GFCI and a grounding probe would cause the breaker to trip, giving you the indication that you have faulty equipment.

pchromis

Originally Posted by PFitz44
If there was stray voltage present in the tank, a GFCI and a grounding probe would cause the breaker to trip, giving you the indication that you have faulty equipment.

Gotcha. But how much stray voltage? Any value?

pfitz44

Stray voltage ins ANY voltage tht appears.... I dont know about you, but id get annoied walking around with my tounge stuck to a battery all day and night... :scared:

sufunk

Hey pfitz or anyone else, im not too confident about doing any wiring without eletrocuting myself
, is a gfci that plugs in just as good? My home depot has the yellow one that plugs in and has 3 outlets on a 2ft cord. Can i just plug it in and then plug my surge protector with all the tank equipment into the gfci plug?