Gal Darn Cup Coral isn't opening its gal darn polyps gal darn it.

hairtrigger

I bought a blue cup coral about two weeks ago. For the first day or so its polyps opened up quite nicely. Now, it isnt opening up at all. Since I purchased it I have sort of rearanged my corals to accomadate aggressives, passives, etc so it got moved around quite a bit. Now, Ive also done a water change. At the same time I bought it I also bought a tubastrea sun polyp coral and a colt coral. Both of those are doing well. My water params are perfect so I dont feel like listing them. :D
The cup is in some decent water flow, near the very top of the tank under powerful, many watts of PC lighting. And no, I don't feel like going through my lighting either. But, it is quite adequate. So, any thoughts? Please? Thanks yall.
And yes, Gal Darn is Georgia talk. Beats the alternative. :D

slick

I saw just gice it time to adjust. I have had corals that stay closed up after being moved around.

reef fool

Hey Hairtrigger,
My cup coral did the same thing twice. After it flipped upside down for about 2 hrs on the sand it stayed closed for 3 days and didn't really open up fully for a week. The other time was when I moved it into too much water flow. And, now that I think of it, it took about 2-3 days to open when I bought it. I freaked out also. But my LFS guy said that they do this sometimes and not to worry. So I guess that is my advice to you. Hope it helps.

hairtrigger

Awesome, thanks yall. I will keep calm for a little while longer then. Yeah, slick, I did just do a lot of moving so that was probably it. And reef, you know, my situation could almost parallel yours with the cup. We shall see... Thanks again yall. :cool:

hairtrigger

Hmm, that is a good point. I was wondering if it is under too much flow. What about the lighting, is being right near the top ok you think?

reef fool

I have my cup about half way up under 440 watts VHO in moderate flow (the polyps are definitely moving around) and it is open fully.(was the same in my 46 gal)
My Coral book by Julian Sprung says:
Lighting Needs : 3-9
Flow Needs: 4-9
Aggressiveness : 1
Hardiness: 9
Scale of 1-10 of course

frankl15207

Originally posted by reef fool
I have my cup about half way up under 440 watts VHO in moderate flow (the polyps are definitely moving around) and it is open fully.(was the same in my 46 gal)
Ditto. Make sure the current is blowing around and across and not down on the polyps.