Galaxea Die Off!

soviettaco

So I got this galaxea about 2 weeks ago and it seemed perfectly healthy when I got it but now it is starting to show die off, I will try to get params tomorrow. Anyone have any ideas as to why it could be happening?
It's been moving from right to left and has hit 4 polyps so far.

I hope someone can help me out.

flower

Welcome to my world, my galaxia did the same thing. Mine was caused by low light. By the time I fixed the problem I had lost of the skeleton showing...it has been a year, it is still alive but just a small patch of it.

mrdc

I've always read that galexea falls into the moderate - expert range of care. What makes them so difficult to keep?

ibew41

if you keep water in the right parameters (sp) it is hard to kill I got rid of mine because of the sweepers on mine where about 10" long and hit my acans and watermelon chalice

mrdc

So are you saying that they are just really sensitive to when the parameters aren't perfect? Like mushrooms are fairly hardy so they may be able to handle a change in water parameters that the galaxea can't handle.

ibew41

yes the are a easy coral but not like a mushroom alk will effect them watch where you place it it can kill other corals

soviettaco

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3228890

Welcome to my world, my galaxia did the same thing. Mine was caused by low light. By the time I fixed the problem I had lost of the skeleton showing...it has been a year, it is still alive but just a small patch of it.
It is in a 24g JBJ Nano-Cube with stock PC lighting. Should I place it higher in my tank?
Originally Posted by IBEW41

http:///forum/post/3228916
you might want to place it on some rocks and it will spread faster
I'm not sure I want my tank overrun with such a potent coral

fretfreak13

can galexia's get BJD? In the second pic, where you can kind of see it browning, it somewhat looks like that to me. My torch got it and died, that's the only reason I know about it. I'm no disease expert, just throwing it out there.

rlablan

it is not die off. The color of the coral is a bown/ maroon color on the base of the polyps.
Mine is the same and it is perfectly healthy.
I have had my galaxea over a year now, and it did this same thing. But now it's back to normal. I just left it alone and let it regrow and it has. I also feed it coral frenzy about 1 per month.

rlablan

Also, I think it needs more light. try placing it higher in the tank. Mine is under a coralife 2x36 watt fixture and the galaxia is happy. It is very near the top though.

soviettaco

Originally Posted by rlablan
http:///forum/post/3229810
it is not die off. The color of the coral is a bown/ maroon color on the base of the polyps.
Mine is the same and it is perfectly healthy.
I have had my galaxea over a year now, and it did this same thing. But now it's back to normal. I just left it alone and let it regrow and it has. I also feed it coral frenzy about 1 per month.
Thanks for helping out!
Yep no brown jelly. Good to know that it should stop and will regrow back in. I'm feeding mine some coral food every 3 weeks but I can't remember what it is called
I will have to edit it in later.
But it seems like all galaxea does this from everyone has been telling me.
Originally Posted by rlablan

http:///forum/post/3229821
Also, I think it needs more light. try placing it higher in the tank. Mine is under a coralife 2x36 watt fixture and the galaxia is happy. It is very near the top though.

Ok I will try to get it higher up, but it may not be possible. Plus I don't want this stuff growing all over my rockwork that's what my gsp is for
I may upgrade my lighting this summer... But I'm not for sure on that yet.
If anyone else has any ideas on the subject let me know what you think!

meowzer

So are we saying that sometimes Galaxia's have die-off (or whatever) and that it's normal?????
My Galaxia is doing the same exact thing as Soviet's....I know it is not a lighting issue, but I loved it cause I thought maybe it was in a high traffic area and may have been pestered by mean fish (damsels)

rlablan

All I know if that mine did it too, and I moved it to the top of the tank, still about 1 foot away from the light, and it's in a pretty decent area of flow, (Not TONS of flow but a pretty good amount.) and it has grown back like 3 fold.
It is not browning out on the bottom and it has regrown over the parts that were bleached out. Now it is a softball sized piece and it is covering the whole rock that it came one, and starting to grow on other rocks!! Yay!