Gaping Dersa

creamhorses

I've had this Dersa clam for ~a yr. I'm guessing it's 3 1/2" long, and has been slowing growing with pretty much hands off enjoyment. A couple weeks ago, I decided that the clam needed to be moved because I could no longer clean the glass with my 'mag'.
The clam was attached to eggcreate, and I didn't want to cut the plastic, so I put a small powerhead on the clam in hope that it would pull foot and move. That didn't work given 4 days from a Maxi-Jet 400.
So I placed my 'mag' float against it in order to get it to let go. That worked after a couple days. I did have to use a bit of pressure to get him to release, but very little, and there was no sign of flesh on the eggcrate.
So I move the clam onto a rock higher in the tank, figuring the more intense light would be good for it. [55g with 6 54w T-5's.] This is where I made an error...I think. Not only did I create a detrius storm when moving rocks, I placed the ESO 'orifice' into the force of a powerhead, but not so forceful as to knock the clam off the rock. This was done last night.
This morning, I was greeted with a gaping clam. It was open and not looking stressed other than it was open enough to see a part of it's kindey, or whatever that is. Crap!
I immediately made a change in it's direction, placing it such that it was in less of a flow area and having the POS away from the direction of flow. It's been 3 hrs., and the clam has opened again, but is still gaping; not as much as before and I can see the tenacle type edges of the open 'mouth'?.
I don't dare feed my fish or hand feed my Duncan, as I don't want any particles in the water column to enter the gap.
I wouldn't mind waiting a good 24 hrs. to feed, and that is probably what I'll do.
Any thoughts?
Dave

creamhorses

OK.....~ 5 hours. Lights out before I got home. Clam has closed up....with ESO retracting between halves when I shine a light. Color is good...a.a.m.o.f., brilliant.
Also, he has moved just a bit to bring the ESO higher than when I saw it this morning. I'm thinking that this current display is good, because the gaping has ceased with the clam in this nearly closed position.
I never realized they were so sensitive to light!
Well........... answers or not tonight, I'll be ok, really.
:^)

creamhorses

Found a lot of info and answers to my concerns elsewhere.
I also got some great pics of a torn foot, and a recovering clam.
Learnin' ......