Garage tank?

I just set up a 55g RR with a 20gL sump in my room, well there's a leak around the overflow of the DT so I'm going to test the sump and dt and hopefullly seal it up. But I've been give the ultimatium of it's going in the garage or it's gone period. So anyways what would I need to do to have it a garage tank? I was also thinking in the back of my head of just getting a rubbermaid tub and doing that and an aggressive pond and selling what I would use, would that be easier because it's not as small as a 55g?

drtito

I would love a tank in my garage, soo look on the bright side, your car and tank are both in sight.
Your floor would need to be level and if it gets cold and its not an A.C. and heated garage, you will need extra heaters.
Also if you work with the car "ON" alot in there you might want a canopy.
Hope you fix the leak, good luck

It's not heated and I'm pretty sure it's level but right now of course I'm going to double check. My main concern is the fumes from the car. I have a canopy but the back is open. Should I get a widder rubbermaid tub and use it as a sump, since I'm limited by space as much, to adjust the heater and chiller as needed? Right now I think I just need a strong heater and I'll get a chiller in the spring. This morning it was 40 degress in OKC.

drtito

Since this is a unheated room you should have 3 heaters (1 sump ,2 tank)maybe more?? ,
As for the fumes just cover the back of the canopy and stand, put a glass-top on you sump this will keep bugs from getting in too.
Not sure if that helps. Place a pic when done I would love to see your garage tank.

well I took a vote and it looks like I'm going to try to sell my stuff (fix it before of course). By the time I spent more money on rock, chiller, and heater and the fact I wouldn't be able to enjoy it as much we decided it wasn't worth it. So yep going to be getting out of the hobby for now as fast as I got back in it.

stdreb27

Heating is one thing, but cooling is going to be even more fun. I have a friend who has a 200 gallon tank in his garage in houston. And he has 2 one hp chillers just to cool that tank... It costs some major $$

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/3153067
Heating is one thing, but cooling is going to be even more fun. I have a friend who has a 200 gallon tank in his garage in houston. And he has 2 one hp chillers just to cool that tank... It costs some major $$
Yeah I was more concerned about the chiller. It's expensive enough just buying rock and lights but then through in a chiller and the fact I wouldn't be able to enjoy it as much, guess I'll be waiting a bit longer to get back into the hobby.