garlic? microvert?

nero

is garlic a highly recommended additive for fish food? i have seen it in my lfs and heard of people using it, but i wanted to know if its necessary... also! would anyone recommend feeding their feather duster Kent Microvert? thanks! :D

duke13

The most I hear about the use of garlic is to help your fish eat when they're being stubborn.
As for Kent Microvert, try to avoid using it. You should buy phytoplankton that's refridgerated, I think DT makes a good product. Kent Microvert is essentially a bottle of dead plankton. It will definitely increase your phosphate levels if used regularly.

duke13

Some do, some don't. BTW, the bottles also have an expiration date. If you have a smaller local fish store, I'd expect them to carry it. Now if you're talking about a chain like *****, then the answer would be no.

marvida

There may be some confusion here. DT's & Microvert are two different things. Dt's is live phyto & a very good product. Kent makes a similar product that is called Phytoplex, or something like that. It's dead phytoplankton & of less value than a live product. Kent's Microvert is a liquid food used for filter feeders looking for an animal based food. Which type of food you use depends on what you're feeding.

nero

MarVida:
i read you can use it for feather dusters... im sure you can, but do you think it would be GOOD for them? i have a pretty big one that looks hungry

marvida

I think dusters use phytoplankton primarily. I have not kept feather dusters. Go over to the reef forum & do a search & you should find all the info you need.
Good luck!

stuckinfla

IMO it should be fine, and other filterfeeders can benefit to. I have a large feather for 5yrs, and thats what I use.

ryan

garlic is for fish that are being stubborn, but it is also used as a preventative. From what Ive read a lot of people use it as a preventative of ich exspecially on fish that are hard to diagnois with ich like puffers.

duke13

Originally posted by MarVida
Kent's Microvert is a liquid food used for filter feeders looking for an animal based food.

It's still a 'preserved' product. i don't know about you, I don't trust 'preserved' dead organisms. Also, it does a wonderful job at polluting your water.

nero

yeah, i did some reading on microvert... i guess it works fine, but it says to only use it when you have to... and to spot feed what you need. i am assuming that my nitrates would raise if i used it frequently.

nero

oh yeah, how about Marine Snow? or Kent CoralVite? i am trying to find out what would be the best and easiest thing to feed to my feather duster and new star polyps. thanks for all the tips :D

duke13

Not sure about those 2 products, I've never used them.
As for Microvert, overuse will increase your phosphate levels. One other thing I forgot to add, Microvert pollutes your tank with little chunks. These chunks were meant for your filter feeders but I've also seen those lovely aiptasia anenomes snack on them too. The DT Phytoplankton leaves no mess, great product.