Garlic

phil1964

I will try it.
Let me know the details. I'll to do it.
After I see some posts from others to do it.
No offense!
Garlic?
I am Italian
I am planing a trek to 4 fish stores tomorrow (I would not call them LFS, two are 50 miles away) and doing the final light, filter, tank check.
Speaking of this, look for a post about women and fish

brian jaeger

Phil
By no means am I an expert about anything, BUT I have read and heard alot about the use of Garlic. I am using it in my tank. I have found Garlic Juice in a local grocery store. I compared the contents with the "Garlic Eilixer" from Kent they both seem to have the same ingredients. I use the same dosage as Kent suggests.
Brian "Newbee"

debbers

I consider myself a "newbie" too...
I just use my own cloves of garlic to soak the food in. I slice it and press it to release the juice, and then put it in a cup with whichever frozen food I'm feeding at the time.
Someone correct me if this is detrimental, but my fish LOVE it!
~D~

debbers

Fisherman, do you toss the garlic in with the food?
I tried it that way first, but the fish didn't eat the garlic. So I went to slicing the garlic and mashing it to release the juice... then I put the food in without the garlic.

S

simm

Originally posted by lilbuddy
is this true, you can use garlic juice from a grocery store?

I wouldnt. Generaly it is going to have more additives added to it for preservation. Id stick with the fresh garlic cloves.

S

simm

Yes thats what I do. Ill crush it and try to get the juice out. Put the juice in the food and sometime soak over night. This method is more potent that the LFS kind. I also try to not get any garlic pieces in the tank.

jlem

I have used the garlic juice from MCcormicks from the grocery store for over a year with great success. I mix up one cap full with my food and freeze once a week.

marinerock

HI ALL....
GO TO THIS THREAD...THERE IS GOOD INFO THERE FOR YOU...
PAGE 2 REEF SECTION - THREAD:STINKY GARLIC BY YOSEMITE
MERRY CHRISTMAS
REGARDS...
MARINEROCK

marinerock

HI ALL.....
IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO USE A PRODUCT IN ITS NATURAL STATE
AS ITS POTENCY IS AT ITS HIGHEST LEVEL...MEANING...YOU ARE BETTER OFF USING A FRESH CLOVE OF GARLIC INSTEAD OF SOMETHING PURCHASED IN A JAR...
THE OTHER THING TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT IS IF ITS IN A JAR
OR ANYTHING ELSE...IT WILL MOST LIKELY CONTAIN SOME KIND
OF PRESERVATIVE...WHICH MAY NOT BE THE BEST THING TO
TOSS INTO YOUR TANK....
READ MY PREVIOUS POST AND CHECK THE OTHER THREAD....
HAPPY HOLIDAYS...
REGARDS...
MARINEROCK

jlem

The garlic is the garlic juice. I have used it for a year and nothing in the juice is going to hurt your tank. I goes into people food and Has not killed any people yett that I know of. I feed the fish every other day and all the food has the garlic juice. Marine rock, no offense but caps lock hurts the eyes man.

julius

i been using garlic elixer for a week now from what ive seen its works my fish been bothered with a touch a ick since ive used it a havent seen them scratching on anything so im satisfied.

ocellaris_keeper

Here's why it works:
Allicin, or Diallyl thiosulfinate, is the primary active ingredient in garlic. Allicin is naturally produced when garlic is damaged or crushed as the all around defense of the garlic plant to invading organisms. It is an effective antibiotic (kills bacteria and parasitic protozoa as well as possessing considerable anti-fungal properties) with an application of use as good as penicillin's, only not as potent.
Allicin has a great ability to penetrate living tissue (which is why it's hard to get the smell off your skin after touching it). This ability makes it extremely effective at getting to, and into, the invading parasite and making use of its antibiotic properties. Allicin has also been shown to suppress the damage inflicted by the Trophonts.