garlic?

freeride7

With regard to soaking food in garlic, how often should this be done? Every feeding? Every other day?
Does this apply to every food, flake, pellet, brine shrimp e.t.c?
Tks
TS

michaeltx

I apply it to everything all the time it helps a lot in building the ammune system of the fish.and doesnt hurt anything. just dont over use it a few drops goes a long way.
Mike

freeride7

Exactly how is it done? Just throw the food in a container before feeding and add a few drops of the garlic.....then feed?
Any rule of thumb on how much garlic to add?

michaeltx

I add a couple of drops per feeding. and let the food soak for a 30 minutes o an hour and then feed.
Mike

gq

What i have read that others do is get a blinder chopping everything up keeping it clumpy and then adding the garlic and chopping it again(with fresh garlic)
Another thing that can also be done is getting the garlic juice like MichaelTX said letting it soak for 30mins to an hour.
And you can either do it everyday or every other day, doesn't hurt to do it every day though

leboeuf

i use a easier method. I just put the frozen cube in a little dish and add a few drops to the top. Once the garlic has been absorbed, or looks frozen then I add it to my sump for distribution. Not had any problems yet.......

michaeltx

that the same one I use. I have heard of useing pure garlic extract from the

[hr]
but I ouwld use it.
Mike

wyldgunz

Kent makes a product called Garlic Xtream. I use it and it works good. It increases the urge to eat and helps bring the immune system up on your tanks inhabitants.
Directions say to use 2 drops per feeding and not to overdose it can be bad for your critters as they are sensitive to smell, and garlic is strong.

saltypatti

Of course, the eat the uneaten food. I was just wondering! I am going to get some as soon as my fish are back in the tank!
Patti

conrad

Can I add the garlic drops to pellet or flaked food?
I would think it would just turn the food into mush. I really do not know if this would be a bad thing.
Can I add a few drops to the SW that I use to defrost frozen brine shrimp?
Any help would be appreciated.
Conrad:confused:

michaeltx

yeah thats they way I do it. take some flakes and add garlic to it and then wait about 30 minutes or so and then feed.
you can add it to SE but it will dilute the strenght I would think to defrost it with as little SW as possible and add the garlic or just let it thaw in a cup without the SW and add garlic wait a while and then feed.
it does not hurt inverts. but you still have to watch not to add very much because it is strong
Mike

conrad

I purchased Kents Garlic extreme last night. I added it to flake and pellet food, but it seemed like it did not spread around enough. Only a few pellets and flakes seemed to get saturated with the garlic. Any hints on the best way to do this? I was thinking of using a shot glass (clean:p ) and adding the drops of garlic in first then adding the pellets & flakes. Maybe using a toothpick or something to mix it all around. Any thoughts or proven methods?
Conrad:)

michaeltx

that would work. I just stir it with my finger most of the time LOL
all the food doesnt necessarily need to be saturated with garlic but it needs to be spread out as much as possible.
MIke

conrad

Thanks for all your help. It is good to have experienced people out there like you to help out us newbies.
Conrad:)

lionstorm

I can't find any Kent Garlic Xtreme, anyone know a place that carries it in the DFW area? Or a major chain like petsmart or the evil ***** or somewheres?

freeride7

I actually threw 1 head of garlic in a food processor with some of my tank water, ground it and strained it. I ended up with about 1/4 cup of juice.....and very potent....should last a while.....and the garlic head cost about 12cents.
TS

leboeuf

lionstorm, i got mine at Aquarium design on Parker and 75. Saltwater Solutions has a wide range of products, he's on O'connor and 183. Best selection of Corals I have seen in the state! Incredible new store too.
I have heard you can add Garlic Xtreme to the display water in small doses. I have used this method also if I'm too lazy to mix with food.