Ge Reverse Osmosis System

saltysteve

Saw a ge reverse osmosis system - home depot for 159.95 they have a mail in rebate for 25% off looks like its a good deal. Although it had a lsit of all the toxins int removes it didnt say any thing about removeing chlloreen dose that mean it dosent ? Any one else have this unit? happy unhappy ?

murph145

i have one under my sink and it works fine and they remove chlorine...
i use that one for my top off system resevoiur but i use my bigger unit that does 75gpd for my water changes cuz the GE unit only does a max of 11gpd and it has a small holding container
if i were u id get one that just hooks up to your hose and then u can get a barrell and fill it up when needed theve got some for $200 thats a 4 stage RO/DI system let me know if ur interested

phixer

Some R/O units require the presence of Chlorine. "CTA (Cellulose Triacetate) units can only be used on chlorinated water systems. These filters are recommended for good drinking water as well as aquarium use". The Chlorine is necessary to keep the filter sterilized, they are not for use with well water. "TFC stands for Thin Film Composite. TFC units can be used on municipal and well water systems".
no links

zman1

The carbon filters removes Chlorine. Chlorine is Kryptonite to the RO membrane on that unit.

[hr]
CTA (cellulose triacetate) membranes used to be significantly less expensive than TFC (Thin Film Composite) membranes, but not any more. A CTA membrane is considered to be inferior to a TFC membrane because it does not last as long (only 18-30 months) and produces water which is less pure than that produced by a TFC membrane.
Under some circumstances, you can replace your CTA membrane with a TFC membrane:
- If you have non-chlorinated water: you can always replace the CTA membrane with a TFC membrane;
- If you have chlorinated water: you must have a carbon pre-filter to remove the chlorine which will otherwise ruin the membrane:
- If your R.O. system runs the water through a carbon filter before going to the membrane, then you can replace the CTA membrane with a TFC membrane.

rrundle77

Steve I can’t speak to the specifics of the unit, I can tell you about my experience w/ a Kenmore unit. It does 10 GPD and has a very small holding tank, when you need 20 gallons for water changes it takes two days and using water at that rate burns thru membrane filters. IMHO this makes it a poor choice for aquarium use.

phixer

The temp of the water has a lot to do with the flow rate. Colder water is much slower, your membranes might be clogged also. Does the unit have a pressure guage?

phixer

Using heating strips is one way of keeping pipes from freezing in the northern climates, heat strips are used for bending acrylic. By regulating the voltage you can regulate the temp. Wrap the strip around the pipe with metal tape so that the strip heats the inlet to about 80 degrees. Or if the RO system is next to the hot water heater simply coil tubing around the pipe and run hot water through it in a closed loop. Something like this would also work.
no links

zman1

Steve,
Just remeber there isn't a magic pill for RO/DI. Most drinking water systems and units sold for Aquarium use, are all standard 10" canisters and RO canister. The filters in the canisters are what really make a difference and they are consumables. Also, you can change the configuration. I use a so called 10 GPD system with a Tee'd DI filter and extra Carbon filter. This fills a 32 Gal trash can for Top-Off and I use it to fill a 32 gallon mixing can. I do a 30 gallon change a week on a close to 400 gallon system water(including Sumps and Ref).
no links
Sorry for the link which was my home page. It can be found by clicking my name and choosing home page................................

javatech

Take a look here
it were i got mine a few years ago and i keep geting replacement filters there too
good price and great service
no links

squidd

Quick..Somebody call "Jimmy Dean"...
Starting to look like "link city" here...
Not all were in violation of policy, but most were so let's just lighten up on the links for now ..K??