gelatin ?

slothy

:: Dumb ? of the day :: heheh
always wondered what the purpose of gelatin in the frozen fish foods is for ? some have it , some dont :confused:

overanalyzer

Isn't most gelatin ground up bone matter? It is used as a binding agent in most cooking applications (aka jell-o). so my guess is it is used to hold the food together - some doctors also recommend using gelatin to help build bone strength .... but I am not as sure on that point

slothy

haha god i hope your wrong on the gelatin being made outa bone deal.. cause ill never eat jello again ahaha

lou_brakant

Slothy, found this online from a scary food fact website. "The gelatin in Jell-O you are spooning into your mouth is made from the collagen in cow or pig bones, hooves and connective tissues. Sounds yummy doesn't it? Manufacturers grind up these parts of the animal and then use a strong acid or a strong chemical to
breakdown the cellular structures and release the collagen. Next, the mixture is boiled. The stuff that forms a layer on top is gelatin. "
Sorry man, pretty sick, but this collagen is used to bind or hold the food together.
:eek:

overanalyzer

yeah but it's good for your joints - there is also some place overseas that used make gelatin from shark cartilage ..... very fancy - tasted the same