gelatinous abd growing FAST !!

capaccvd

I set up a 220 gal tank in the fall, and have had lots of different types of seaweed come and go. But I have always had this stuff that grows fast and when I scoop it out of the tank its HEAVY and has a consistancy of snot. *sorry* Its doesnt seem to bother anyone, or anything in the tank, but I just dont like it. I take it out about every two weeks. The pictures are at about 1 week groth.
Am 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
PH 8.4

olemiss

Does it grow on the rocks too and how large/often are your water changes? My guess would be a nasty strain of cyano.

2quills

Blue/green slime algae also known as cyanobacteria, would be my guess too. Phosphates are propably high and or you may need to do maintenance more regularly. What type of water are you using, check the phosphate levels in it. Do you have adequate filtration? Try not to overfeed. I've read that they make products that will help get rid of it in conjunction with manual removal but unfortunately it's harmfull to your beneficial bacteria as well. And unless you find and take care of the underlying cause/causes then it won't do you much good anyway.

capaccvd

It just grows on the rocks whan a piece settles when I scoop it out. Other than that, it just grows on the sand.

capaccvd

Phos: 0
I dont do any water changes, Im trying a nitrate reducer by instant ocean and nitrates are 0. I have a wet/dry refugium that has lots of good stuff...

rated for 300 gals.

mony97

keep in mind that your phosphates will read zero because they are being rapidly consumed by whatever is growing in your tank.. Also lights could also be the issue, cut the lights for a couple of days and see how that goes. Also I would recommend water changes, even if they are just once a month, it will help with water quality, and also replace any trace elements.
Good luck!