General fish website?

subie41ife

Does anyone know a good website for information on fish? like a wikipedia for fish?
I'm trying to read up of fish before I buy them, see what I can mix and which ones I cant mix. What order to put them in my tank ect. Thank you in advance

mrdc

The doctors website has a nice compatibilty chart. I like to use this book when deciding what fish to get:
A PocketExpert Guide to Marine Fishes: 500+ Essential-To-Know Aquarium Species
That book shows which fish are reef compatible, how hardy they are, their max size, shows pictures, ....
I usually fins one that I like from the book and then research it more on the net.

cranberry

No offense to the doctors... but they are often very very wrong with their descriptions. DO NOT do research from such sites.
Books by observing authors is the best way to go.

ibanez

+1 Cranberry, and also most saltwater fish forums have a fish section, and many times there are sticky threads with great information, or searching the fish your wondering about on the forums, can also give you great advice. Books are great, but many can be somewhat outdated and hard to find. So, look for good books, search forums, google it, ask on forums...

noah's nemo

I always google and get more info than you know what to do with,often times though it contradicts itself.I do agree with the doctors not being all that accurate though...I seem to always go back to a certain marine site however

J

jstdv8

+1 for reading all the stickies at the top of every thread subject.
Pretty much all of the basics are covered right here on this site.