General setup questions

hondotech

Hello all,
Recently new to the saltwater fish hobby and had a couple of questions.
--History to date--
My tank (55 gal) had been running for approx. 2 months with nothing but live sand (approx. 50 lbs) and 10lbs. (approx) of live rock. All the water tests showed everything normal.
So I took the plunge and picked up 5 damsels as starter fish. My acclimation steps weren't nearly up to par as suggested here on the site ( I floated em for 20 minutes, then dropped the fish into the tank, the transport water went down the drain). I never turned on the lights until I actually had fish in the tank.
Within a few days of the damsels being in the tank, I was overrun with a reddish-brown algae, which Im guessing came from the lights being on 12 hours a day.
After the damsels had been in the tank 2 weeks I replaced them yesterday with a yellow tang, a goatfish, a blue angelfish, a fire shrimp, a peppermint shrimp, emerald crab, and 2 snails.
That was actually done on 4/1/05.
The local fish store said the algae would go away if I left the lights off for 4-5 days and nothing I just purchased would mind living in the dark that long.
--Questions--
1. After skimming this site for a couple of hours I am under the impression I should have 1-1.5lbs of live rock per gallon of water. Is this a mandatory thing? Is it possible to add live rock to a system once the fish are in? Are there any alternatives?
2. According to swf.com, everything I have (with the exception of the angel) is a algae eater. Am I in trouble here?
3. The goatfish is incompatible with the shrimp? Local store said it was fine, swf.com says its not.
4. What is the purpose of the water cycling? How often and what % should be done? Not real clear on the steps involved. Do I just mix up some saltwater and toss it in once the old is removed? Does the new water need to "age" any?
5. When I first setup the tank my gravity was off the charts, I ended up pulling at least 15 gallons out to get the gravity to normal levels. I still have that water sitting in a covered but not airtight tub next to the tank. Is that water any good for anything or need to be tossed?
6. I have some frozen brine shrimp I was feeding to the damsels, should I just be dropping enough for the angel at this point because of question #2 above?
7. I believe I have some button polyps growing on the live rock. Good thing or bad thing?
-- Comments --
The tank is actually at my place of work, I wanted to create a conversation piece and something for the kiddos to look at while the parents spend their $$ =). I want to get as much variety (color and shape) as the system will allow (going for the ooh-aah factor). Was looking at adding a batfish and starfish after a couple of weeks.
Any thoughts or comments would be most appreciated.

trainfever

I cant believe your LFS let you put that much fish in your tank all at once. You should add 1 or 2 fish at a time and then wait a week or 2 before adding anymore fish. When you do add more fish, forget the float method and use the drip method for aclimating your fish. When you say that your tests are OK, what do you mean by OK? How are your nitrates? Algae needs nitrates to feed on. Are you over feeding? Over feeding will cause nitrates to rise. You should definitely add more live rock. You could add live rock directly to you tank if it is cured rock with no problem. If it is not cured, you should cure it first. You can put uncured rock in a little at a time but you have to be careful as this will cause your ammonia and nitrates to spike which can kill your fish. I suggest curing your rock in a separate container. The purpose of water changes is to remove harmful ingredients such as ammonia and nitrates. Water changes is the only way to remove them. When doing a water change, mix up your water a day or so in advance. This will give the salt enough time to become completely disoved in your water. Make sure you measure your salt before doing the change. The water you have saved can still be used for future water changes since it hasnt been used. Just be sure to add salt or fresh water to it to make sure the salt level is correct. As far as the brine shrimp, pretty much evreything will eat it.

hondotech

Its been 96 hours since the fish hit the tank. Fire shrimp has fallen prey to the goatfish (according to swf.com goatfish will eat shrimp). Why oh why did my LFS tell me it was ok?!?
Last selfish bump looking for some more responses to my Qs.

sato

Originally posted by HondoTech
--Questions--
1. After skimming this site for a couple of hours I am under the impression I should have 1-1.5lbs of live rock per gallon of water. Is this a mandatory thing? Is it possible to add live rock to a system once the fish are in? Are there any alternatives?
You dont have to have that much rock but the more rock the more biological filtration you will have and thus the easier it will be to take care of.
2. According to swf.com, everything I have (with the exception of the angel) is a algae eater. Am I in trouble here?
The Emerald Crabs are part of your cleanup crew and will eat pretty much anything they can get their hands on. The snails will just graze on anything. The Goatfish and Tang while in the wild feed primarily on algae they will eat just about any type of food in captivity. The Angel will eat pretty much any food type also.
3. The goatfish is incompatible with the shrimp? Local store said it was fine, swf.com says its not.
Nope :(
4. What is the purpose of the water cycling? How often and what % should be done? Not real clear on the steps involved. Do I just mix up some saltwater and toss it in once the old is removed? Does the new water need to "age" any?
You will do a water change to replenish some fo the basic vitamins in the water(Calcium, etc. etc.) and to remove Nitrates as well as any Nitrite or Ammonia, although you should have any of the last two once your tank is cycled. You should do a 20-25% water change every 2 weeks or as needed if the nitrates get high. As for mixing make sure you mix with Reverse Osmosis water which you can hopefully get from your LFS or from grocery stores, and let the water sit for an hour or so to make sure its completely dissolved and so it can reach a temp near what the tank is, you dont want to add water that is 10 or so degrees hotter or colder then the tank water.
5. When I first setup the tank my gravity was off the charts, I ended up pulling at least 15 gallons out to get the gravity to normal levels. I still have that water sitting in a covered but not airtight tub next to the tank. Is that water any good for anything or need to be tossed?
You could start adding fresh RO water to it to lower the SG and use it again, but personally I would just dump it.
6. I have some frozen brine shrimp I was feeding to the damsels, should I just be dropping enough for the angel at this point because of question #2 above?
Everything will eat the brine but it wont satisfy the nutritional requirements of all the fish, you should pick up some spirulina tablets or some sheets of dried alge(pref. green algae).
7. I believe I have some button polyps growing on the live rock. Good thing or bad thing?
Good thing, but I doubt they will stay alive. In order to keep them they are going to need a decent amount of light which standard flourescants cant provide. Although you can try to move them to the top of the tank for extra light and try to keep them alive. I would however check to make sure its not Aiptasia, which is a type of nuisance anenome that you DO NOT WANT, it spreads quick and can hurt fish and corals and possibly even eat them.
Aiptasia

Button Polyps

I am truly amazed this store sold you all these things so quickly. Either they truly do not know what they are doing or are just trying to get all your money. If you can avoid it dont go to them for advice because it appears they dont know how to maintain a tank. If you have to return to them make sure you know the facts and dont rely on what they say is compatible and what isnt.
Hope this helps.

acekjd83

Originally posted by HondoTech
Hello all,
Recently new to the saltwater fish hobby and had a couple of questions.
--History to date--
My tank (55 gal) had been running for approx. 2 months with nothing but live sand (approx. 50 lbs) and 10lbs. (approx) of live rock. All the water tests showed everything normal.
So I took the plunge and picked up 5 damsels as starter fish. My acclimation steps weren't nearly up to par as suggested here on the site ( I floated em for 20 minutes, then dropped the fish into the tank, the transport water went down the drain). I never turned on the lights until I actually had fish in the tank.
Within a few days of the damsels being in the tank, I was overrun with a reddish-brown algae, which Im guessing came from the lights being on 12 hours a day.
After the damsels had been in the tank 2 weeks I replaced them yesterday with a yellow tang, a goatfish, a blue angelfish, a fire shrimp, a peppermint shrimp, emerald crab, and 2 snails.
That was actually done on 4/1/05.
The local fish store said the algae would go away if I left the lights off for 4-5 days and nothing I just purchased would mind living in the dark that long.
--Questions--

no, this is not mandatory, you can have as much or as little LR as you want, but more is better since it houses the bacteria that break down wastes, and it just looks pretty.

watch them. if they eat the algae, great, if not, then you may have to give them algae sheets. if they do eat the algae, then just make sure there is actually enough to feed all of them.

i dunno, but i've come to trust this site more than the minimum wage "experts" at my LFS...

yes, the water should sit for a day to let everything equilibrate. optimally, you should have a heater and an air line going in it while it sits. make sure the specific gravity and temp are the same, then slowly let it fill the tank after the old water is removed. as far as how often and how much, opinions vary, but 10% every 2-4 weeks seems to be the quick and dirty rule of thumb

nah, it should still be ok, just dilute it down to the proper gravity and follow the steps above.

hey, if the damsel wants brine shrimp, give him brine shrimp. mine's a porker and would eat a rock if he thought it looked like food. just make sure you dont feed too much or they may decide that the free algae isn't quite as appetizing as the expensive brine shrimp...

again, i dunno... keep looking tho!
-- Comments --
The tank is actually at my place of work, I wanted to create a conversation piece and something for the kiddos to look at while the parents spend their $$ =). I want to get as much variety (color and shape) as the system will allow (going for the ooh-aah factor). Was looking at adding a batfish and starfish after a couple of weeks.
Any thoughts or comments would be most appreciated.