Geo-Marine CC in reactor?

spmnarciso

1. Are you suppose to rinse CC before placing in Calcium Reactor?
2. How far up the reactor do you fill with media?
3. I have a check valve between the CO2 tank and the bubble counter, but do you need another one after the bubble counter , before the reactor, so aquarium water does not get pumped up into counter.
4. How much water do you place in the BCounter? (directions are not clear)
5. I'm using a pump to administer water to the reactor from the sump, is it a good idea to add a check valve in case there is a power outage and reactor water does not siphon back to sump?

reefnut

I also have a Geo... nice units!!!
1) I would...
2) I fill mine to the top.
3) No... aquarium water will fill the BC. Main thing is it assure it doesn't get back into the CO2 equipment.
4) I should fill up automatically when the unit is filled.
5) Doesn't matter.

spmnarciso

I don't have a Geo unit. I built my own, similar to MRC's. I decided to use Geo-marine type CC media, like Golfish suggested.
1. Just rinse CC in tap water?
3. I bought a Aquamedic BC and it says to fill half way with water, so why is it OK to fill totally with tank water?

reefnut

I though you meant a GEO unit.
So, if the instructions say fill it half way up... then fill it half way up. I don't know what your setup looks like so I can't say. Seems like it's a separate BC so it may be a good idea to have a check valve between the BC and the reactor.

spmnarciso

Actually I figured it out. There was a leak on the bubble counter that allowed water to be siphoned and fill the counter. I fixed the leak and no more water getting to the counter since the other end of the counter has a check valve. Thanks.
Rinse the CC in tap water?

golfish

Originally posted by spmnarciso
1. Are you suppose to rinse CC before placing in Calcium Reactor?
2. How far up the reactor do you fill with media?
3. I have a check valve between the CO2 tank and the bubble counter, but do you need another one after the bubble counter , before the reactor, so aquarium water does not get pumped up into counter.
4. How much water do you place in the BCounter? (directions are not clear)
5. I'm using a pump to administer water to the reactor from the sump, is it a good idea to add a check valve in case there is a power outage and reactor water does not siphon back to sump?

1) guess you could. I never do but it does clud the tank a bit.
2) I go about 2" from the top
3) One should be fine where its at.
4) 1/2 too 3/4 should be fine...its no biggie.
5) Its not going to matter because its just a closed loop (in a sense)