Geofflesby's new 20L

Geofflesby

So this was kinda an impulse buy but what can you do fish are awesome and such is life. Anyways after a trip the the LFS and a bit more than I was intending to spend later I have a fish tank again.
Empty tank shot.jpg

Geofflesby

I was thinking keep it simple since I haven't had a tank in a while. I am planning on one ocellaris clownfish and a small shimp goby and pistol shrimp. I also might add a 10g sump tank down below to give it more water volume I was thinking of using a cpr overflow since i didn't want to drill the tank. As for shrimp gobies i was thinking a randals goby or a yellow watchman

jay0705

I have a yellow watchman. They literally dont move from there spot lol maybe 4" to grab food thats it. Cool fish tho, mine shares a cave w my fire fish

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You may want to get a mated pair clowns (can be expensive) and just have them as the only fish. Please remember to cycle your tank FIRST and not with animals in the tank. I'd also recommend quarantining new fish (especially a mated pair) to ensure that you don't introduce diseases.

Is that live rock?

Geofflesby

I kept some old rock from a tank I had 6 years ago, don't ask me why i kept it I don't know. I am going to get some live rock to put in today. I was able to steal some crushed coral of the top of my friends sand bed to help it start a bit faster but I am still waiting for the water to spike from the dead shrimp i threw in. I figure in like two weeks I will probably be able to get a fish. Why would you recommend two clowns over the shrimpgoby? Are the gobies just harder or the tank isn't big enough to handle the bioload?

Geofflesby

Hey so I used my friends bacteria supplement and with the live rock and sand transplant it seems like my cycle has started. I have .2ppm ammonia and .5 Nitrite somewhere between zero and 20 nitrate. How much longer would you guess cycling will take so I don't have to keep wasting test strips lol

Geofflesby

Okay cool 2 weeks it is, thanks man. I will look into investing into some better testing materials. I just need to wait until i get another paycheck lol

silverado61

Keep using the test strips till it reads zero to save mony then test with a chemical kit. That's what I would do.