Get a load of this!!

clayton

I found a new shop last week and have been very impressed.
They propogate their own corals especialy acropora, pocillopora and seriatopora. You can buy rocks with cuttings on especially made up. Cool hey!!
They gave me a fresh pocilopora cutting from a colony that is a decendant from an original piece that they have had for years.
Not only this, they have many of there reef tanks on only 4-5 watts lighting per gallon, and they are thriving.
On top of that they had some colonies of organ pipe coral that were from spawnings in the same tank!! Although this was probably still an asexual spawning (as some corals produce asexual planula lavae) it's no mean achievement (no lunar cycles either guys!!(and girls!)).
Anyway, they have inspired me to start looking into hard coral propogation as well as the soft coral propogation which I have already started.
P.S. Their tanks have only live rock, skimmers and calcium reactors.

clownfish

Don't the tanks have powerheads? I hope they do. I don't know how hard corals could be kept with only 4 or 5 watts per gallon. It really surprises me. I will buy a 55 tank in September. My parents will get me a 4x96w PC system for xmas. This works out to nearly 8 watts to the gallon. I don't plan to have any SPS, but mostly LPS with some shrooms and other soft corals. I want to have a couple shroom clusters, a leather coral, hammer coral, bubble coral, and a nice big open brain.As for the fish, I want a coral beauty, a perc clown, a yellow tang, and maybe a couple other fish.

clayton

OK, so they have powerheads as well. But the lighting is not that surprising. How much light do you think penetrates to 40m? Think of where they come from, many corals are found in caves with virtually no light - yea OK soft corals. But many others can be found on ocean walls or depths where the light is very low. I have previously kept tooth corals on 3w per gallon for years. It is dependent on the species and where it was collected from (kind of makes it tough for us), but it is just as easy to kill a coral with too much light as it is with too little.

krazzydart

where did you find them ....let us know...
Thanks....
Originally posted by clayton:
I found a new shop last week and have been very impressed.
They propogate their own corals especialy acropora, pocillopora and seriatopora. You can buy rocks with cuttings on especially made up. Cool hey!!
They gave me a fresh pocilopora cutting from a colony that is a decendant from an original piece that they have had for years.
Not only this, they have many of there reef tanks on only 4-5 watts lighting per gallon, and they are thriving.
On top of that they had some colonies of organ pipe coral that were from spawnings in the same tank!! Although this was probably still an asexual spawning (as some corals produce asexual planula lavae) it's no mean achievement (no lunar cycles either guys!!(and girls!)).
Anyway, they have inspired me to start looking into hard coral propogation as well as the soft coral propogation which I have already started.
P.S. Their tanks have only live rock, skimmers and calcium reactors.

clayton

London England - might be a bit expensive on the petrol front!! I'm sure they would bag them up well for you though!!! LOL
Originally posted by krazzydart:
where did you find them ....let us know...
Thanks....