Get Rid Algae

birdy

getting rid of excess nutrients, and pull or suck as much of it out of your tank as possible.

beaslbob

Originally posted by
michael21

What is the safest way to get rid of algea

Algae like all other plant life requires ammonia/nitrAte, carbon dioxide, and light. Eliminating any of those will eliminate the algae. the primary source of ammonia/nitrate is the nitrogen cycle processing the bioload. Carbon dioxide is also from the bioload.
First, I use magnetic pads from your LFS to remove the excess algae from the glass.
Secondly cleaner crews especially snales are good for algae.
Finally and the best, is to have plant life (macro algaes or marine plants) which use up the ammonia nitrate before algaes appear. If you add desirable plant life the ugly algaes will be much reduced or eliminated.

overanalyzer

Originally posted by beaslbob
Finally and the best, is to have plant life (macro algaes or marine plants) which use up the ammonia nitrate before algaes appear. If you add desirable plant life the ugly algaes will be much reduced or eliminated.

the way a lot of folks accomplish this is through the use of a refugium - do a search and you will get a lot of info and designs on how to do refugiums.....
Also - what is your water source?? RO or RO/DI water is filtered to remove bacterium that can create algea blooms.
You may want to run carbon to help polish your water some.
Lastly - are you doing regular water changes? a regular monthly water change will help export some of your nitrates.
HTH

You could also dose w/ a lot of iron, increase your photo-period, and litertally burn it out. ;)
I tried everything imaginable to get rid of a terrible red slime outbreak, and the only thing that actually worked, was using 3x doses of "Kent Fe" and increasing the lights to 18 hours.
After 3-4 days, there was hardly a trace, and the barely hanging on macros that are in my fuge, suddenly looked like they belonged in a tropical rainforest, due to growth rates of 5-6" a day!!! :eek:

bwmichael21

I don't really have a problem with algea just wanted to see what different people did. I've never heard of using the iron before. I add a couple drops once a month for my kaulerpa in the refuge. THis may sound like a stupid question but why would increasing the concentration of iron kill the algea and benefit the other plants, after all they both are plants. Wouldn't all the Fe harm anything else in the tanks' environment ? What purpose does the iron serve with respect to teh plants ?
sorry but i like asking questions :)
michael

It aids and strengthens the stronger macros species, so they win the battle of survival...
It's like spraying weed killer on your lawn... While enough of it would kill all of the plants, a certain amount will only harm the less hearty ones.

cincyreefer

I have never tried it so i don't know for sure, but how would adding excessive amounts of iron and light get rid of algae? Once hair algae gets a foot hold in a tank, it normally becomes independent of the bulk nutrients in the water although it might not grow or spread much. I have never seen hair algae go away by trying to starve it of nutrients, and have tried many times.
edit- I am assuming that this thread is about hair algae or cyano... if its about diatom or dinoflagellates then ignore.....

Originally posted by
michael21

Will this sudden [Fe] increase affect or upset anything else in my tank ?

I started slowly, then kept increasing the dosages over a period of several days. Once I hit about 3x recommended dosage, that's when the macro's kicked into overdrive, and the red slime disappeared altogether.
* I'm not suggesting that anyone else try this, but rather I'm stating that I took the "risk" and it payed off big for me.
Furthermore, last evening I noticed that my lavarock base is now beginning to come to life, as there are unknown "things" now living on it, as well as becoming coraline encrusted in several various locations. This is way cool! :D

michaeltx

hey crusty interesting. what corals and stock do you have in the tank you did this. deffinately something to look into a little more.
Mike

imo

Originally posted by CrustyTheClown
Furthermore, last evening I noticed that my lavarock base is now beginning to come to life, as there are unknown "things" now living on it, as well as becoming coraline encrusted in several various locations. This is way cool! :D

When you say lavarock, are you meaning actual black lava rock from a volcano or artificial lava rock? I live near some pretty big lava beds and would love to use this as base rock. Very porous for light weight, lots of bacteria growth and it would be free!
Thanks

bwmichael21

I have always been under the impression that iron was harmful with respect to corals ? What form of iron did you use a salt ? (ex ferrous sulfate) or ionized ? I thought that for the most part metals were somewhat toxic towards animals but my knowledge in this only pertains mostly to pesticides.

Livestock: Snowflake Eel, Yellow Tang, Hippo tang, pair Tomatoe Clowns, Blue Damsel, pair Flame Scallops, Condi Anenome, Green Carpet Anenome, Yellow Coplonial Polyps, Brown Button Polyps, Zebra Mushrooms, 2 different species of Gorgonians, Flowerpot, 4 varrying species of Serpent Stars, and numerous varieties of crabs & snails
Lava Rock:
Red & real -- I also have a lot of regular live rock, and as I have been adding more LR, I remove pieces of Lava.
Iron Supplement:
Kent Marine ~ Super Cheleated (developed for reefs)

Originally posted by Kipass4130
a little more about your tank crusty
filtration, lighting, tank size
did you test for Iron while you were dosing?

Wet/dry with fuge, skimmer & sump -- 75 gallon RR -- 260 PC's
I never ran a test for Fe. The instructions said 5ml/50 gallons once a week, but I slowly built it up to every other day to accomplish what I wanted, then stabilized the system. Now, via water top offs and changes, the increased levels would automatically be reduced.
Since the macros have taken over, my system is exactly where I want to be.
Understand, that nearly all suppliments have a "safe" range that far exceeds the recommended dosage, because of idiots like myself that tend to push the limits a bit. ;) Products not having a "safety zone" (such as Kalkwasser
), generally have caution labels stating what can and will happen if the product is abused.
FWIW: I did an in depth web search on dosing w/ iron before ever adding the first drop, and the conclusions I came to are based upon my findings.

Actually, my anenomes are eating like crazy, and growing like mad! I have discovered they greatly prefer to eat cubes of "Formula Angel", than either F1 or F2. When being fed FA, they seem to expell a lot less leftovers, and I've noticed a good color change in them.
The 2 anenomes are perched on top of the rockwork, which places them roughly 8" from the lights. I'm hoping to add another 80w (10k & Actinic NO's) this weekend though, if things work out as planned. I already have the lighting ready to be hooked up, but I have to modify my canopy in order to do so.
I would love to switch over to MH's, but I think my wife would put a contract out on me if I spend much more money, so I'll probably have to hold off until next spring to get that one past her! :D