Gettin geared up for nano cube. Need your opinion!

laddy

This is a prime situation where in this hobby there are many ways to accomplish the same thing. I really don't believe you'll do any harm in changing water mid-cycle, however, what you will be doing is lowering amonia levels and prolonging the cycling of your tank. I don't believe there's anything advantageous in doing water changes when you're attempting to promote an elevated amonia and nitrite level. As for a 50-75% water change that's not uncommon at the end of the cycle.

thejdshow

Originally Posted by Laddy
This is a prime situation where in this hobby there are many ways to accomplish the same thing. I really don't believe you'll do any harm in changing water mid-cycle, however, what you will be doing is lowering amonia levels and prolonging the cycling of your tank. I don't believe there's anything advantageous in doing water changes when you're attempting to promote an elevated amonia and nitrite level. As for a 50-75% water change that's not uncommon at the end of the cycle.
I agree with doing a large change at the end of the cycle. Im just saying I wouldn't during the cycle. Hope all works out well which ever rout you decide to take though.

nanoreef

:) Keep us posted
Sounds Good
Oh and reef crystals arn't a hoax they have added extra nutrents in it GOOD FOR CORAL :cheer:

ophiura

Originally Posted by TheDocta
NO starfish at all? What can i get instead of a starfish that will do it's scavengering job? Reef crystals are basically reef tank salk...supposed to be better for reefs.

No, you can consider a brittlestar (not the green) if you want that (but do not allow it simply to scavenge). Consider snails like ceriths, nassarius, etc. But otherwise any Linckia star is doomed.
LINCKIA SEASTARS (or any reef safe star) ARE NOT SCAVENGERS and DO NOT EAT ALGAE OR DETRITUS.
They REQUIRE very large amounts of LR. An orange Linckia would still be marginal, even in a 55g tank, with under 100lbs of live rock.

diadema

couple things.
tuningvis - you mentioned salinity of 30 (which is low) - I assume that's a typo and you meant 35, either that or you meant specific gravity of 1.030 (which is high).
Reef Crystals is a salt brand - not some magical crystal that cures your saltwater woes... It's in no way a scam just like Instant Ocean or Oceanic isn't.
Water changes during the cycle are not necessary - but in my opinion they are very important. It all comes down to preference. If you bought liverock - and you want the life on and in the rocks to survive, doing large waterchanges will help avoid turning your liverock into baserock. If you bought baserock and used a cocktail shrimp or a couple spoons of pure ammonia to start the cycle, then waterchanges are a waste of time...
Good luck with your setup - seems like you have it planned out pretty well :)

thedocta

OK thanks. Reef crystals are made by instant ocean. Kind of an instant ocean on steroids. I plan on doing water changes because this rock was very alove and is still pretty alive. I don't care if it slows down the cycle a little in the long run it'll be better.

thedocta

Did another water change and cleaning of sponges last night and thought I'd check and see how my levels were. Here they are:
PH: 8.1
Alk: "High"
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Amonia: 0.25
Temp: 76 F (with lights off)
Salinity: 1.026
Couple questions...
How do I lower the Alk?
How do I raise the PH?
How do I know if the Amonia has already spiked? I didn't start testing till a week after tank was set up and since then it has stayed stable.
How often should I replace the carbon in the back?
Is 2 weeks of STEADY levels after the amonia spike good enough to start adding stuff?
Also how's this order of adding stuff sound: Snails and hermit, couple hardy corals, fish and pistol shrimp. Not all at once but spread out over a coupel weeks period once the cycling is done does that sound good? Thanks. -Greg

thedocta

UPDATE:
Heres the levels as of 1 week and 6 days since tank was setup.
PH: 8.2
Alk: Still "High"
Amonia: .25-.50
Salinity: 1.026-1.027
Temp: 82 F (lights off, late afternoon)
Questions:
Is 8.2 a good PH?
How do I lower Alk?
WHEN WILL THIS ******* AMONIA SPIKE!?!?!
I'm doing bi-weekly 2 gallon waterchanges as of now and when the tank is stocked...cleaning sponges every other waterchange, change carbon once a month.
I think that's it for now I just gotta wait for the cycle to end and all that good stuff.
LMK how I'm doing. Thanks. -Greg

ophiura

:notsure: Why do you want your pH higher??? For alkalinity, and pH for that matter, you may need to test for calcium and magnesium to start. Messing with alk and pH without at least knowing calcium can cause trouble.
Have you had your readings double checked at the LFS?

thedocta

Haven't had my readings double checked yet but I read the directions CAREFULLY. So getting a magnesium and calcium test kit would be a good idea? Also isn't PH supposed to be 8.2-8.4? I was gonna try to get it 8.3 so I could get a little leeway eather way.

ophiura

7.8 to 8.4 is fine so long as it is stable and doesn't fluctuate dramatically higher or lower. Trying to keep it in a narrow range will drive you absolutely nuts. Unfortunately, some test kits just aren't good even if you are the best water tester there is :) Always best in these cases, before doing something major for example to correct an issue, to get it double checked. I would at least start with a calcium test kit to see where you are on that front.

thedocta

It's been 2 weeks and 3 days since I set up the tank and here are the readings. LMK how I'm doin and I'm open for any advice that might be helpful.
PH: 8.2
Alk: Still "High"
Amonia: 0.25-0.5
Salinity: 1.026-1.027
Temp: 75 F (Lights off, at night)
Couple things...
Is my salinity a little too high or is it alright?
Secondly is it possible that my tank is already cycled? Someone on -- suggested it but I dismissed the idea right away. The LR was pretty alive and had been in my other setup for months, the sand was alive, the only thing that was truely new was the water. I have changed in total about 9 gallons of water and none in the past 4 days but still the amonia has stayed at a stable .25-.5 depending on how you read the kit since a week after the tank was setup. I know it probably hasn't started cycling yet but I'm just wondering if it's a posibility. Don't flame me on rushing things cuz I have no intention on doing so and have had enough of the don't rish it sh**. O also I'm getting my readings double checked by my LFS tomorrow...and the temp is only low because the lights have been off for the past 3 days and the air temo has cooled a bit also.
Thanks. -Greg

thedocta

Got my levels check by my LFS today...nitrates and nitrites read 0. Amonia was less than 0.25, PH was 8.0 and they didn't test Alk. No real big differences I guess it all depends on how you read the test kit and how good of test kit you have, I have a red sea one and they use a seatest one.
Also when I was at my LFS I picked up some prime reef flakes for food. My feeding plan is becoming more and more confusing as I try to feed as many foods as possible. I think I'm going to feed the Prime reef flakes, formula one pellets, frozen mysis, lugols solution, and DT's. I plan on mixing prime reef, formula 1, and the mysis and feeding those things every other day. On the same day that I feed those foods I'll feed DT's. Then once a week I'll feed lugols solution and hopefully that will be a well rounded diet for my reef. Tell me what you think. Thanks. -Greg

thedocta

I tested again today and everything came out the same, again. Now it's been 1 day short of 2 weeks of testing the exact same levels everyday...also the tank has been setup for 3 weeks as of wednesday and the levels have been double checked. I think this weekend I'll start adding stuff. I'll probably add all of my snails this weekend as long as the levels don't change this week. LMK if you think this is alrigth or is it too soon? Thanks. -Greg

thedocta

Sorry I can't size the pics small enough to post. Look around online theres a lot of cool nano cubes at different site.

barebucta

I had a 24Gallon Nanocube, it was one of the worst investments that I made. I wasted close to about $230 dollars on that piece of garbage. It leaked at the back, the craftmanship was flimsy and near horribe if not, and to top it off the "3 stage" filtration was pitiful. When I was at work for some reason or the other the curved side on the tank just up and cracked, leaving what was once my beautiful aquatic scenery on my kitchen floor. Definatley not a do-over. Can you imagine if I had put the tank in my living room? What would have happen to the carpet?

barebucta

I had a 24Gallon Nanocube, it was one of the worst investments that I made. I wasted close to about $230 dollars on that piece of garbage. It leaked at the back, the craftmanship was flimsy and near horribe if not, and to top it off the "3 stage" filtration was pitiful. When I was at work for some reason or the other the curved side on the tank just up and cracked, leaving what was once my beautiful aquatic scenery on my kitchen floor. Definatley not a do-over.

thedocta

Sounds like you had fun and btw that doesn't scare me at all. I've researched endless hours about why they crack and decided it won't happen to me.