Getting a 55g, need help planning

Well I'm downgrading from my 125g to a 55g, RR, with a 20g long sump.
I have probably 30lbs of dried live rock sitting around which I could use in the sump, thinking about using black sand for the DT, getting refegium mud for the sump, and getting some cheato for the sump also. Then getting hopefully 60-70lbs of live rock for the DT after a while. (Won't be stocking till it's been running for a while and I have everything in place (rock and filtration as well as water chemistry to where I want it)).
Questions I have:
Will that be enough filtration with just the sump? I have HOB filters laying around, would hooking one of those up to the sump and putting carbon or something in it be a good idea? Suggestions? I plan on having a lot of nice PH's in the DT to hopefully eliminate algae. Any recommendations for PH'S? I got some of the deflectors on older aquariums, but they never worked with the PHs I had.
What kind of lighting should I get? I don't want anything expensive like MH's, I was thinking T5's. I don't really have plans for a reef, but that may change later. Don't plan on keeping SPS or clams so I don't think MH's are necessary.
Don't have a stock list yet. I'm only going to have it set up for less than 2 years, as I am a junior in highschool, and I will have to take it down because I'll dorm my first year in college, then 2nd year I'll probably rent an apartment or house and set it back up. So would it be that unethical to get a small fish that would eventually need a 75g since I'll only get 2 years? I like the magnificient foxface and the porcupine puffer was probably my most favorite fish I ever owned. Also thinking about maybe putting in a really deep sandbed and getting a blue dot jawfish. Suggestions?

wangotango

1) Plenty of rock, a fuge, and a skimmer are all you need.
2) Go with T5. A retrofit is great if you already have a canopy and are on a budget. 4-individually reflected bulbs would be great and let you keep whatever you wanted down the road.
3) For a small amount of time I don't think it would be too much of a problem, but I would just wait until you got a bigger tank.
-Justin