Getting back into saltwater game again

leftyblite

Hi all,

I have been out of the saltwater fish keeping area for a few years now and I'm now looking to get back into it. Probably a stupid question here but here but I will ask because I'm not sure and want to be safe. I have been looking for a small but decent size tank and recently came across a 40G tank for FREE. Unfortunately it is a terrarium that housed a lizard.. I know that the top will have to be replaced. Will a terrarium work for a fish tank? I couldnt find anything on this topic so i thought I would ask. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

leftyblite

I know about the cleaning completely before I try anything as my last big tank had a Pine Sol cleaner issue that took me months to get cleaned out before I could restart the tank. I guess Ill find out in a few days if it will hold water.

beaslbob

Hi all,

I have been out of the saltwater fish keeping area for a few years now and I'm now looking to get back into it. Probably a stupid question here but here but I will ask because I'm not sure and want to be safe. I have been looking for a small but decent size tank and recently came across a 40G tank for FREE. Unfortunately it is a terrarium that housed a lizard.. I know that the top will have to be replaced. Will a terrarium work for a fish tank? I couldnt find anything on this topic so i thought I would ask. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
The concern is that reptile tanks have thinner glass and are not a strong as aquariums.
So I would check out the glass thickness to see if it is a reptile cage or aquarium.

geridoc

I believe that there are construction differences between terrariums and fish tanks, mainly in how the panes are siliconed together and the seams covered.

pegasus

Put 40 lbs of bricks in it, 40 lbs of sand, and fill it full of water. If it bursts, then it wasn't meant to be an aquatic aquarium...

flower

Geridoc and Beaslbob are right, the tanks are not created equal. In this instance, the cheap comes out expensive. The tank may hold for a while, but not for the long haul...one day it will just give way.