Getting back into SW!

jpeavytx

Well its been awhile since I last posted. I sold my 55g when I graduated, it was going to be a pain to move. So I've been reefless for almost 6 months. Came across a deal on a used 110g RR and just couldn't pass it up! The tank is about a year old, and they are breaking it down for me before I pick it up, like an hour or two before i show up. I'm picking it up in the morning and plan on having it up and running that afternoon. :jumping:
Since i've been out of the loop for a few months I have a few questions.
1. Should I discard all the sand and start with new sand? Maybe keep a few cups of the old sand to seed the sandbed? I'll be using southdown for the new sand. Keep in mind I'll be putting in ~150lbs of LR once I get the tank filled. This will be the rock out of the tank that I'm buying.
2. My old setup had a DSB, i've heard conflicting reviews about DSB vs. SSB vs. NSB. I didn't like all the grunge look of my old DSB, nor do I like the look of the SSB. Thinking of going with a SSB ~2".
Thanks in advance.

zanemoseley

I'd say ditch their sand just to be safe, southdown will cloud up your tank bad for a while, if you have the money go with caribasea. I wouldn't go over a 3" sandbed, I have a 2-3" sand bed. DSB's are pretty much out now. Most peope are either going with a maximum 3" SSB, barebottom or starboard. Starboard uses a poly. sheet like a cutting board, this prevents glass breakage in the case of a rock slide, some people use PVC glue to put CC or sand on the starboard to give it a faux sand bed look. Here's a link to some stuff for starboards
http://www.thecuttingboardcompany.co...oards.asp?id=3

alison

Hi, what would be so bad about keeping their sand? As long as it's not crushed coral it should be fine. I could kinda understand because they coulda used anything and ya just never know what they used. So, if ya wanna get rid of thier sand, I would maybe buy some live sand to give your new sand a kickstart, but even if you don't use their sand you should be fine, since the tanks already cyled. You could also if you are a little worried, Divide up your sand and thiers and keep thier sand on the left, and yours on the right, just for like a month until your sand gets cycled, and then throw out their sand, and spread yours all out. So, good luck, and CONGRATS! Did you get lights and everything with it, or do you have to go out and buy that? Cuz if ya need lights, I know a cheap place for mh's, just leave your email, and I'll get it to ya if your interested. Happy Reefen-Ali:happyfish

alison

Hi, what would be so bad about keeping their sand? As long as it's not crushed coral it should be fine. I could kinda understand because they coulda used anything and ya just never know what they used. So, if ya wanna get rid of thier sand, I would maybe use some live sand to give your new sand a kickstart, but even if you don't use their sand you should be fine, since the tanks already cyled. You could also if you are a little worried, Divide up your sand and thiers and keep thier sand on the left, and yours on the right, just for like a month until your sand gets cycled, and then throw out their sand, and spread yours all out. So, good luck, and CONGRATS! Did you get lights and everything with it, or do you have to go out and buy that? Cuz if ya need lights, I know a cheap place for mh's, just leave your email, and I'll get it to ya if your interested. Happy Reefen-Ali:happyfish

jpeavytx

Well guys i've decided i'm just going to start with new sand. I'm friends with the owner of a LFS in town and they are going to keep all the livestock in tanks while I get everything back up and running.
Alison....It came with 440 VHO, but i'll be adding MH to the mix. Send me that website you have in mind. jpeavy@grandecom.net