Getting back into the fun of things

jrandolph1

Hello everyone and thank you for taking an interest in my post. My wife and I got into the hobby back in '04 and saltwaterfish.com used to be a more than once a day stop on our adventures on the net. We had a 180gal all glass brand tank with all the right equipment and absolutely loved the experience. We had to do some home remodeling and it was actually kind of easier to sell the tank than it would have been to keep it safe and move it around on several occasions. So we put it up on the site, that if I remember correctly isn't supposed to be talked about here so I won't go into to many details, and some people from S. Carolina came all the way to Florida to pay us some money and pick up the tank with in 2 weeks. I must say it was a real beauty of a tank. Anyway some friends of mine were looking to get rid of their 30gal long and I thought it would be a great small start back into the hobby. So I brought it home (with the wife's permission first of course) and cleaned it up nicely. Did a nice slight upgrade to the already existing light system and waiting on some money to get a few essentials and get started again. We are working on a tighter budget than we used to have so I have to keep certain rules in effect (for my own discipline reasons) as I love to get things done quickly but I always seem to justify that if we can't do the best then we can't do it at all. Anyway I have a few pictures to post. Gonna post some of the old tank and then some of the new. Let us know what you think about them and I have always wanted to start one of those Journal Threads so if nobody enjoys it at least I will.

deejeff442

pics pics where are the pics?
welcome back i dont think many people that at one time kept salt fish ,gave it up ,didnt eventually come back.
it truely is an awesome hobbie

S

shrimpy brains

Welcome back to the hobby and swf!
We are junkies for pics. so maybe you could try to post them agan?

jrandolph1

Yeah sorry they didn't post. I will be sure to post some pics very soon. I hate having to wait for equipment. I should have everything but the upgraded lighting and the upgraded protein skimmer in like 2 weeks. Oh yeah and I shouldn't forget the live rock but I will have all my live sand.

jrandolph1

Ok the first one was a test...Here are some more :). This was my old 180gal...I miss that tank so much. Oh well half the fun is setting up a new one and the 30gal will have some of it's own challanges

jrandolph1

Here are some pics of the new 30gal project. I call it my humble beginings :) LoL. This is before I cleaned it up and I liked that it is a 30 gal long.

jrandolph1

This is the 30gal all cleaned up with some fresh water in it. I had to put the bubble stone just to have something to look at LoL... I changed the starter and the bulb in the existing top but I already have my glass top ordered and my hqi fixture is picked out but I have to earn the money to buy it. I'm definitely starting it out as a fish only tank and choosing my critters wisely not to be eaters of the precious coral.

jrandolph1

We should be getting the equipment and stuff late this week or early next week. Either way I can hardly wait. Been wanting to do something like this again for about a year. The suspense is killing me!!!

jrandolph1

Well today is the big day for the equipment arrival. I hope UPS doesn't dilly dally and makes me the first stop :). So far though they say on the tracking site that everything seems to be on time. WOOT!!!

jrandolph1

LFS's live rock is only $5.00 per pound. These guys have a really high class set up too...My wife says oh crap cause they are right down the road from our house LoL!!

jrandolph1

In my last tank I added 4 green chromis before I added some live rock. They lived 2 and a half years and I sold all four of them with the tank.

hunt

Im prabably going to get some crap for this but when i first started my tank(i didnt know much) i added a clownfish right away before it even cycled and i didnt even know what a cycle was. That clownfish is still ther 2 years later. Great starter fish.