Getting back to zoas

swampthing

I've got a 90g reef tank of softs and I'd like to add a zoanthid. In the past, a year or so ago, I had three good ones that were doing fine up until I got a flatworm problem. I couldn't get rid of the little buggers, and since they only ate the zoanthids, I was forced to euthanize all three. It's been nine months to a year, and I haven't seen any flatworms. I'm assuming they've starved to death. Could I take another shot at a zoanthid without another infestation or will I always get zoanthid eating flatworms (the little bastards)?

geoj

I have not yet ran in to zoanthid eating flatworms but I would test Flatworm Exit on them as a dip and if that worked out then set the tank up for treatment. As for if you will run in to some zoa pest if you buy them I would say likely as there are so many pest. I would bet your tank is clean now that it has been a year. QT all corals and fish so you can prevent this the next time.

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJ http:///t/391080/getting-back-to-zoas#post_3466523
I have not yet ran in to zoanthid eating flatworms but I would test Flatworm Exit on them as a dip and if that worked out then set the tank up for treatment. As for if you will run in to some zoa pest if you buy them I would say likely as there are so many pest. I would bet your tank is clean now that it has been a year. QT all corals and fish so you can prevent this the next time.
totally agree. With zoo's you can actually dip in iodine (lugios) for several minutes. Typically you will notice amphipods and other critters dying off which is okay. Then add into the tank.

swampthing

Thanks guys.
I tried the flatworm exit when I got them. Funny story. I dosed as directed. Nothing. Read around some and figured I'd dose again. Well, all the snail at the same time fell off the rocks and glass. They were only stunned, not dead, but it scared me off the stuff. I'll get some Lugol's before I add the zoa. About how much would I add to a bucket of three gallons of tank water? Say for five minutes? Then rinse the coral off in clean tank water before adding it?
I don't have a seperate quarantine tank. About the best I could do is a bucket with an airstone. Doesn't seem like the kind of thing I'd want anything living in for a month. It's definitely something I'll address before upsizing to a bigger tank.

geoj

Yes, Flatworm exit is a poison sounds like you did not use enough carbon to remove it before you dosed the second time. I have used it to remove flatworms with success if you would like read more at this link.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/389403/flat-worm-invasion

coralreefertom

With using Flatworm Exit, you first need to remove as many live flatworms as possible with a siphon or similar apparatus, to minimize poison and carbon dioxide buildup in your water, then ensure carbon and dissolved oxygen is substantial to avoid possible death of livestock.
The other thing to mention is that flatworms do not eat or kill zoanthids or other corals initially. What they do do is reduce the amount of light needed to sustain the life of symbiotic corals zooxanthellae.

swampthing

I'd say if I 'd have quaranteed them properly, the non-infected ones would still be alive today. Anywho, the little buggers have stayed gone and not come back for the newly introduced zoanthid. So it seems that they don't hibernate waiting for food or anything. Starve the flatworms out and they appear to be gone for good. An ounce of prevention and all that.