getting fish out?

cherber01

thanks in advance for any unique ideas ........im trying to get 2 clarkii clownfish out of my 55 gal tank and im having one heck of a time. any ideas on how to get them out without disturbing the rockwork?

mrdc

I had to remove 3 domino damsels and all I used was a fish net and food. I would hold the net in the tank for a few minutes so the fish would get used to it. I would drop some pellets near the net and let them eat and not move the net yet. Once they ate the first batch, I would add some more and then I would snag one while it wasn't paying attention. I could only get one out at a time because they would hide right away when the net went back into the water.

cherber01

yeah i tried that last night and missed a couple of times....lol....now they are use to it and won't even come close to the net...smart little buggers

mrdc

One time I also tried to fish one out with a tiny hook and fishing line. No luck with that.

gastineaub

can they fit into the opening of a 2 liter bottle? I tried that to catch a green wolf eel by putting food in it and actually caught him!

cherber01

no they cant fit they are about 4" long and well fed :) i think someone should build a "fish trap" i would buy one......

hunt

have you tried when they sleep, when my clowns sleep, they go to the surface and just float there wiggling around behind my filter, if i wanted them out, i would lower ther water so they cant get behind the filter, wait for them to sleep, and get them with a net.

aquaknight

Drain the tank. 55gal isn't too big so you can use some rubbermaid containers, etc. Get it down to just a few inches. Easy as pie then.

tim514

Go to ***** and buy one of those aquarium dividers. I used that to block off a section of the aquarium with open space. Then with the fish trapped in that section, use a net or object of your choice to scoop the fish out. Caught my purple dotty back in a few seconds.
Last time I used the old fashion net technique and it took me almost 20mins, having to move rocks, and ended up causing a sand storm and probably stressed the crap outta the fish and others.

cherber01

i might be able to get a divider in there but im sure not going to drain the tank.... i have a few aneomes in there.

kacey

Originally Posted by cherber01
http:///forum/post/3237177
no they cant fit they are about 4" long and well fed :) i think someone should build a "fish trap" i would buy one......
Actually, I believe they do sell a fish trap. It's kind of an acrylic version of a humane cat trap. Google 'Ultralife Fish Trap'.