Getting frustrated with the cynobacteria!!!!

jtwilson

AHHHHH!!! I want to pull my hair out sometimes! I have either a cynobacteria problem or a green slime algae problem. Tank 55gal, 4*65 watt PC's, cprbakpak and whisper 60 skimmer, 60lbs lr 2 1/2 inches of ls, currently use walmart distilled water but soon to buy a RO unit, in the process of changing from oceanic to instant ocean (maybe it will help im desperate), not alot of livestock a few fish and a few corals and inverts. I do 10% waterchanges every week. i have 2 clean my glass every day at least twice a day becuase of the green film that sticks to my glass, i dont understand becuase i have pleanty of coraline on my rocks and it is starting to spread to my back glass, the green film only seems to attach itself to the glass i am getting so frustrated with it! it is a hassel to keep cleaning all the time. sombody please give me some suggestions!!!!

diadema

Originally Posted by jtwilson
soon to buy a RO unit,
This is the first step. The others include refugiums, added circulation, higher oxygen levels, etc...

viet-tin

You should try increasing your flow. This got rid of my cyano fast. Only way to get rid of it is to find the source of the cause. Try and buy a few power heads, I added a tunze stream 6080 along with my 2 seio 820 and return pump and bye bye cyano.

smarls

How much flow you got across the front glass? Often times increased flow helps stop algae forming.
Also, the algae is basically getting phosphates from somewhere, so you may want to check and see where that is...maybe you are overfeeding? There is a great thread on phosphates by Steve Weast (sp?) that explains the whole phosphate thing in detail, which is worth reading. A quick search in this forum should turn it up.
Don't feel too bad though, everyone has had this problem at some stage. I am thinking about adding a phosphate reactor to help keep phosphates down in my tank.
HTH
Stewart

jtwilson

i had considered that flow rate maybe a problem, i was trying to find the boxes my powerheads came in for a couple of days and just found them, so currently i am using 2 penguin 1140 powerheads with only 300 gph each. im a little embarassed :rolleyes: cause i thought i was getting more flow than that (im just a novice but it sounds a little low). maybe i sould incorporate more flow?? what is the min turnover rate for a 55? also i only feed every other day so i dont think i am over feeding. i also have my lights on about 10 hrs a day should i gradually cut back?? thanks for all your help guys!!

ross

I agree with adding more flow, that does wonders for cyan and slime algae. Like someone said, maybe you are over feeding. You might also try some macroalgae to help....

zbrook1

Sounds like you could use more flow. I have a 55 also and what I have is 2 Maxi-jet 1200,one in each corner, 1 maxi-jet 900, in the middle flowing forward to the front glass and a penquin 550 along the back bottom flowing from one end of the tank to the other.Also have a HOB refugium.Knock on wood its working quite well for me.

zbrook1

You might also want to cut back on your lights.My actinics come on at 11 am and are on till 11 pm and my 10k are on at 4pm( an hour before I get home from work) and are off at 10 pm

viet-tin

I wouldnt suggest using chemicles. They will knock cyano out temporarily but it wont cure the solution.

jtwilson

ok well how many gph is needed? i know that is an opinionated question but just to help me get a general idea. remember i currently have 600 gph.

viet-tin

You want atleast 20-25 turn over min. I have a little over 40X which might be overkill but havent seen any signs of cyano in my tank except in my overflow box.